• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp and other Rough fish pics

HotPocket

There's nothing flowing over the dam last I saw. But, this last rain might have spurred a little.

I went over there about a week ago. Fished about ten minutes and left. It was literally elbow to elbow.

full-32141-44456-quill.jpg

full-32141-44457-buffalo.jpg

Are these a Quillback and a SmallMouth Buffalo? Bad pic but wanted to get them back quick and did not want to drop them on the rocks.

Caught them both looking for crappies. Hit on a lil roadrunner spinner. Got 5 combined, landed 5, hits like crazy in about 45 min then gave up and went looking for crappies again.

I was out on Bald Eagle on Saturday morning fishing for Bass before the storms rolled in. I was pitching a black/blue swim jig into reeds when this big dark shadow came lurking out of the reeds and then my jig disappeared. I thought it may have been a muskie until I set the hook home and it turned to run - then I knew it was the under rated and not often seen Bald Eagle Bowfin!

full-30226-46331-img_20140531_133156.jpg

full-30226-46332-img_20140531_133454.jpg

Hi I am 13 and I am wondering about any carp spots (not necessarily hot spots) but places with some carp so I can try and catch my first on a fly. I live in woodbury, mn and I am willing to travel about 30 minutes. Thanks in advance

I went out today looking for Carp and boy did i find them. I started off throwing a 1/4 oz paddle tail jig. It worked well but to often I would snag one and have by jig come back with a scale on the hook. I then added a spinner to the jig (Beetle spin style) and was able to catch some in the mouth and avoid snagging them. I could feel the jig and line moving over there backs.

Here's a couple pics.

DAA965B6-8091-4A97-8990-BC4A91492F94_zps

C7F5157C-8A2F-4EE0-918C-23F37D119496_zps

I have my size 12 foot in the pic for scale. The reel is a size 30.

Here's the biggest white bass I've ever caught out of the floods at 15 1/4 inches, and 3 3/8 pounds. It put up a great fight on medium tackle, and was safely released. Swimjigs work wonders. Can't wait to fight its saltwater-run cousin someday!

20140704_092933_zps103c072a.jpg

Yeah, i've got a nice catfish stretch pretty close to home that i've been hitting pretty frequently...Carp & Bowfin city too - a blast on a Medium walleye rod with no snags to deal with. I'm really looking forward to this stretch of river when ice fishing rolls around. This carp came on worms.

that's just a plain ol' common carp

it would be big news if a silver or bighead got caught up here!

the only other carp that might get caught in MN would be the grass carp (they have a longer body and different mouth [no barbels])but folks don't get too riled up about them since their numbers don't get too crazy

Cooler water temps slowed down the cats but ramped up the bowfin. Caught 5 of em yesterday afternoon.

5 bowfin!? Nice! I haven't found that action in MN yet. I got that nice one earlier this year flipping reeds but the only consistent action I can find is near my cabin in Western Wisconsin. People always make fun of me for targeting them at times but boy do they fight. Such a misunderstood species.

Well, come down to cannon/wells lake. Fish the inlets/outlets. Cut sucker or worms. Lost one that had to be close to 30" this past weekend.

I've had many come unbuckled close to the boat because i'm just using circle hooks, and i think it's about 50% success rate. The other odd thing about them is that they tap tap tap the bait like sheephead will, but they more times than not, take it and run upstream, so you have to reel fast to catch up to them. They can make some nice runs smile

fished some floodwater holes off the MN River specifically looking for dogfish- was tossing a spinner and caught 4 sheepshead and a white bass- the sheepshead were acting like bass and two of them swallowed the spinner! no bowfin though