• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp and other Rough fish pics

HotPocket

What a beast bro, good shizzal. that was a very fun outing, we'll have to do that more often next season

With out a doubt.

I'm about 90% sure i'm going to skip the croix this weekend and fish some nights around here; but i want to put more time on the croix and miss next summer for flats!!! Maybe you can guide me an outing on the miss.

Here's a doggie I caught when I was out fishing the backwaters with a friend of mine (he didn't catch any doggies, unfortunately). I call him the Eager Beaver, 'cause every time I go to that honeyhole, I always seem to end up catching him! He's 19 inches, and boy did he smile for the camera! Major thanks goes to my bud for taking the picture!

SAM_0757.jpg

here's a handy little card to help you id redhorse..

It's tough to tell if that tail is more red.. or if its more black.. part of me thinks it's a greater

edit: upon further inspection.. im almost positive its a greater.. the fin on a golden is concave.. while that fin is clearly rounded

RedhorseID-thumb_rgb.jpg

That's the card I use for my quick ID's as well.

That's no greater though... I'm almost positive it's a silver.

Tail isn't red, and the count of scales around the base of the tail are closer to 12 than 16 smile Convex dorsal with 15ish rays.

Red tails are pretty red indeed

4-12-11HoldingRedhorse-2.jpg

Update on fish #2 in my previous post: currently residing in a DNR freezer waiting positive id from fisheries biologists. smile The two who looked at it earlier today seemed pretty sure it is a river carpsucker, but they're going to pass it on for a second opinion Monday.

Update on fish #2 in my previous post: currently residing in a DNR freezer waiting positive id from fisheries biologists. smile The two who looked at it earlier today seemed pretty sure it is a river carpsucker, but they're going to pass it on for a second opinion Monday.

sweet

It's been a fun week on the river with the fly rod. Some of these pics are recycled from my species thread/TR down in the 'fly shack,' so apologies if y’all have seen some of these already.

Sheep

P5091094.jpg

Same fish

P5091093.jpg

Released

P5091096.jpg

Recycled image from the fly section... Shorthead Redhorse

P5081084.jpg

Also recycled from the fly section. I was quite surprised to see what this one was. Fun fight too... Quillback Carpsucker

P5081089.jpg

I lost a pretty big carp last night too as I was trying to get the line on the reel... not the first time that's happened this week either. Oh well.

A snapshot of some of my favorite rough fish fly patterns.... if anyone is curious smile

dba7df68-676a-4d93-8916-8aeb8e5b6945.jpg

finally got back in the roughfish game today. went out to check out a spot. didnt look too promising. but then i looked down at my feet and withing an inch of the bank, i saw the head of a nice female bowfin. needless to say i quickly ran to the car, tied on a bare hook and slapped on a crappie minnow and dropped it in her face. the result ended up being my first bowfin in nearly 2 long years, and a pretty nice one at that!

full-27194-33054-249035_1015150779881993

also came across a few of these in a small creek. resulting in a new lifelist addition. thought they were extremely large shiners at first.

kinda weird seeing them so shallow....

full-27194-33055-947180_1015150827133493