• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Pike Special Regs or Protected Slots

Rick

Most of the lakes they have tried adding forage food did not work. The forage food base is what it is and is controlled much by how big a predator base you have present.

laugh Hahahahaha!!!!!! laugh

What most people seem to forget is that the DNR and in a few cases lake associations add millions and millions of bait fish in thousands of lakes every year. Only they don't call em bait fish, they call them walleye fry. Most of which are eaten by panfish, but small sunfish are eaten by pike, so I guess it does benefit them in a way.

lol grin thanks for the laugh though, I needed that.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and the walleye is a top predator along with bass,northern pike and maybe musky. I just know many lakes that already had perch and they thought they could build the perch population higher,well it might of helped for a year or so but perch numbers usually went back to what they were before.

Yes by stocking walleyes there is evidence crappie population decline and vica versa. Look at Red lake when walleye numbers dropped. Crappies increased.

laugh Hahahahaha!!!!!! laugh

What most people seem to forget is that the DNR and in a few cases lake associations add millions and millions of bait fish in thousands of lakes every year. Only they don't call em bait fish, they call them walleye fry. Most of which are eaten by panfish, but small sunfish are eaten by pike, so I guess it does benefit them in a way.

lol grin thanks for the laugh though, I needed that.

And natural walleye reproduction produces...... Fry.

Sure everyone remembers the common predators like bass, pike, and walleye, but there are more. Dogfish for example, sometimes catfish, trout, even bullhead. The point is there is a balance. The purpose of slots is to bring the stable population of fish up. It has a 2 part effect of creating bigger fish for angling, as well maintaining a better breeding population. With too much fishing pressure, you end up with a bunch of tiny fish. That is neither in balance, or of desirable size.

I think there is much room to adjust northern pike regulations,at the same time some of these lakes with high northern populations were never walleye lakes in the first place and walleyes should not be stocked there,instead stock them where survival will be much better.

We run up the cost of the walleye program by stocking in many lakes where survival is almost zero.

At 24 inches you are still protecting to many male fish,in many lakes you would be better of with a 26-36 inch slot. Males almost never get bigger than 30 inches and at 26 you would eliminate many males. Only so much forage food out there.

Last time I looked, (couple years ago) the Ontario slot was 27 or so. 80 cm comes to mind. Nope 75 cm max length in zone 5. So they have gone to a max 29.5 inch restriction. And spearing pike is not allowed.

Pike news. Good for my NC area lake.

Full story:

http://www.startribune.com/dnr-sets-new-rules-for-northern-limits-in-three-zones-come-may/413361693/

"Here’s a breakdown:

• In the Northeast zone (east of Hwy. 53, running between Duluth and International Falls), anglers can possess two northerns, with one over 40 inches. Northern 30 inches to 40 inches must be released.

• In the North-Central zone (west of U.S. Hwy. 53 and north of state Hwy. 7 beginning in Ortonville, east past Hutchinson, south on state Hwy. 22 to Glencoe, east on U.S. Hwy 212 to Chaska, south on state Hwy. 41 to the Minnesota River to the Mississippi River), the northern limit will be 10, with two longer than 26 inches. Northerns 22-26 inches must be released.

• In the Southern zone (south of the west-east line noted above beginning in Ortonville), the northern limit is two, with a minimum size of 24 inches.

Northern pike from different zones can be included in a statewide limit, but can’t exceed the daily limit or size restrictions of the zone where the fish were taken.

The new regulations won’t apply to the approximately 100 lakes now governed by special northern pike length or possession restrictions, including Mille Lacs. Also, border waters are excluded.

Here are the new pike spearing regulations:

• In the Northeast, the possession limit is two, one of which can be longer than 26 inches.

• In the North-central, the limit is 10, with one between 22-26 inches and one over 26 inches. Alternatively, the limit is 10 with two longer than 26 inches.

• In the South, the limit is two, minimum size 24 inches.

DNR fisheries officials say the new regulations recognize that lakes in the different zones hold varying numbers and sizes of northern pike, and are subjected to varying amounts of angling pressure."