• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best lake ever?

I was wondering if there is a lake out there that has it all. Great fishing for all kinds of species. Is there a lake out there like this? Any ideas or stories out there?

warroadfisherman

I really don't have an answer to your question. The best trip I have taken as far as fish caught is concerned would be Lac Suel, but that was about five years ago and I don't know what all is in that lake.

Surface tension, Where is zipper lake. I have heard the name but don't have a clue where it is.

Ely lake expert

There are a lot of great lakes out there, almost too many to fish! I think the "best lake ever" is gonna be the big one in the sky. Every species of fish you want, free bait and tackle, no need for a license, perfect weather, good looking fishing partner and much much more!! Until then, any lake you can enjoy!! Good fishing!!

Got to agree with PWaldow123, the only other
specie you could wish for in Lake of the Woods would be big bull bluegills down on this south end. Otherwise LOTW has it all, and in all the right sizes too. Can't be beat in my opinion, at least not by another U.S. body of water. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Gonzos Guide Service
http//GonzosGuideService.com

Wow...a hard one for sure!
I think that one can argue their point on almost any lake in the state since at one time or another any lake can be the best. Also everyone has their own personal favorite.
Mine is a small private lake near where I grew up. This is where I learned to fish and where I spent many afternoons with people who were and still are important in my life.
Not that this lake did not have good numbers of big fish, because it did and still does, but it is the memories that makes this lake my best lake ever.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

I would say Lake Vermillion!
Because it has Bull Bluegills, lot's of them in the weeds, Whopper Walleyes, Lunker Largemouth Bass,
Football size Smallmouth Bass,
Big Black Slab Crappies, Alligator size
Northern Pike, and Trophy Muskies!!!
Variety at it's best!

my favorite lake is colonna lake (north of kenora ontario) all you need is yellow jig (no need bait) and i love walleye taste is so good than minnesota walleye i always going there every year for last 25 years

I've had my name changed from warroadfisherman but I guess there are too many lakes out there for one guy to fish, but thats why there is this site, right? To share our fishing stories and learn about all those heavenly lakes where people seem to catch so many fish there boat sinks? Thanks for the replys and happy fishing!!

frenzy

I don't get out on too many lakes but I'd have to say I've had the most fun on Lake Michigan....oh and of course "Lake X" for the Minnesota opener!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

All of you born and raised MN folks are going to jump on me for this, but I really like what Lake Oahe in SD has to offer on a year round basis. It lacks in significant panfish populations, but.......

Walleye, sauger, chinook salmon, rainbow trout, brown trout, white bass, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, northern pike and catfish.

It's a fun place to fish!

Finlander, nothing against vermillion. I like the lake, I will probably be there saturday. I just want to see one of your whopper walleyes. Maybe it is just me, but I have fished there many times and a 20+ inch walleye is a rarity for me. Who know maybe I am just in the wrong spot.

Ely lake expert

If you'll allow a shade of Will Rogers, I can say, "I've never met a lake I didn't like."

However, if pressed to pick a "best" lake, I'd have to say I've had my most incredible fishing over an almost 40 year span on Lake Michigan. No freshwater fish can match the speed and power of a 20+ lb king salmon that strips line so fast the reel screams. And, there's variety -- browns, steelhead, cohos and kings, the old reliable lakers, brook trout in and near harbor and river mouths, smallmouth, walleyes, northern pike, and muskie in the peninsula and island areas -- with pike and walleye present in downtown Milwaukee.

But, don't deny me the opportunity to enjoy Leech, Mille Lacs, LOTW, or smaller bodies close at hand such as Clearwater, Waconia, or Green. And, don't deny me the windswept Great Lakes of the Great Plains, both Oahe in South Dakota, and Sakakawea in North Dakota. Or Lake of the Ozarks, or Erie, or Mooselookmeguntic, or Sebago.........

As a matter of fact, keep 'em all. Which ever one I'm on in a given day is the best.

For our area, I'd vote for Miltona. Just shy of 6000 acres of walleye rearing perfection, and now becoming a top notch muskie fisherie too. Big gills and crappies, and of course bucketmouths. Big bullheads now and again too! Of course most of the photos of lunkers all come from one lake: Area Lake! smile.gif

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Ely Lake Expert, my reply was more for the Big Bull Bluegill type of fish naming. Which there are Bull Bluegills in that lake.
As for Whopper Walleyes, I have caught many over 4 pounds, mostly trolling chartuese/silver #5 Shad Raps over wind swept bays, points. They just love those in that lake and I always get the larger walleyes on them. Try'em!