• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lead Lining

Just wondering how many of you employ this as one of your weapons in the never ending arsenal of tackle? I'm looking at trying it this year. Any good tips, in addition to the article on this site? What is a good reel for this sort of presentation? Also what type of baits work best with this? Thanks for any info...

Good Luck,
Rusty

Rusty,

I'm in the same boat as you. I fought trying it in the past, but there were so many occasions last year to give it a shot that I think I almost have to this year.
I have a more specific question- if I want to connect my lead-core to a 10 foot mono leader how do people recommend I do so? I'd just use a barrel swivel, but I'm sure I'd constantly be cranking the swivel into the last eye on my rod (this is not good for the eye- it often damages it and results in people's line going bad from a bad eyelet). I wonder about a blood knot- is this a good way to connect the two different lines? Another knot that I've been told is ideal for connecting lines of different diameter is a sheap-shank, but I have to admit that it's not my favorite knot. Any suggestions?
Scott

Hey guys,

I have fished with lead a couple times with TUrk on the St. Croix. This was my first couple times using this method! I love it!!

I noticed a couple things that might help. You will want a bait casting reel, maybe a abu 5500 or something that has good line capacity.
You will want a fairly long rod nothing under 6 and a half feet and with some good flex. Nothing too stiff either.

As far as knots, what ever works the best for you. Definitely get away from using a swivel, too much of a hang up. Get the different colored line for recognizing depth change etc.

What to use with lead core, crank baits!!!

I see how this is very effective for river fishing, but haven't heard or witnessed lake lead lining!

Since you rely on the weight of the line to get your presentation down, you'll need to gear into idle at times allowing the line to pull your crank down.

I relied on Turk to handle the boat, so I imagine it would take a little getting use to, relating to speeds etc.

By no means am I an expert on this, but I picked up on it pretty quick!! I highly recommend river fisherman adding this to their arsenal!!!

Jim W

Try this simple arrangement for a leadcore to mono connection. Tie one or two overhand knots in the leadcore at the end. This creates a little bump in the leadcore which will serve as a "stop" for your mono. Then, simply loop the end of your mono around and ahead of the leadcore bump, and tie a Trilene knot. Slide it down to the bump and tighten. Works wonders.

Might also pop a split shot on your mono (or fluorocarbon) several feet ahead of your lure. The shot will pick up all sorts of debris that works its way down your line, keeping your plug free from junk and running true. Peace of mind is a good thing when trolling. Enjoy your fishing!

-a friend called Toad

This is a very interesting topic for me. Does lead core line take up more line capacity then an equal strength mono, if so how much more? Does it have more drag then mono with an equal amount of line out?

Thanks for the great information guys. I'm looking forward to trying this technique this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good Luck,
Rusty

Up until 4 years ago I did quite a bit of trolling with cranks, spoons, and spinners with leadcore on the Lake of the woods mudflats. On a trip out to Saginaw bay I was turned onto something easier, I now use snapweights instead of leadcore, much simpler, and I don't need rod/reels dedicated to the leadcore. Seem's to work just as well or better, and its simple. If you don't have one already, get the 6th edition of precision trolling, it has info on both leadcore and snapweight trolling including depth curves.

Fisky