• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

English River, N.W. Ontario Canada

Gone Fishing

Has anyone fished out of the Naughty Pines Fish Camp on the English River system north of Ear Falls, N.W. Ontario Canada? I'm thinking of taking a trip up there with my wife. I'm wondering how good the fishing is? Is it a place my wife will like? And in general what to expect? I've never gone to Canada fishing before.
Any input would be apreciated.

The fishing on the English River is GREAT!!
But a word of advice, Get a guide for at least one day!! and be very careful to check your credit card reciepts at the time you use it!! We had a lot of problems with stores over charging,and if you caught it they would try to refund the over charge in Canadian money!!!! They just made $.50 cents on every dollar they over charged you if you take the Canadian currency.Get American money back or force them to cancel the charge and redo the bill.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

This will be my first trip as well on the english river system heard nothing but good things. But beware of the rocks i am told. This water has walleye, smallies, muskie and from what i am told monster pike. Good luck!

Definatly watch out for the rocks!!! Last year I was driving and the water was lower by about 3 feet. A rock came and took my skag right off and bent my prop up too. That was a bad day for me. If your unsure about the bottom, go slower than usual. Keep your depth finder on and pay attention to it. I wouldn't want that to happen to my worst enemy.
Good luck, fishing is really good there. Be safe.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service
Upper Red, Winnie, Blackduck Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/blackduck/
Phone:(651) 426-1545
E-mail: [email protected]

I went to the naughty pines fish camp in the summer of 2000. The water is coffee stained and you can't see more than a foot or two down. The water was extremely high when I was there making for a difficult bite. We still caught quite a few walleyes but they were rather small. Unexpected lake is the one you want to fish hard. I caught a 24 inch walleye on a spinnerbait a foot away from the boat, the biggest one of the week. So if you are going in late July the weeds might be something to think about. There are a tremendous amount of northerns in there, you shouldn't have any trouble catching those if that's your thing. My brother also had a big muskie miss his lure twice while fishing for northerns. Because of the color of the water, midday can sometimes be the hottest bite. Windswept shorelines produced the most fish. The larger northerns we found were pretty deep. Hope you have a good time, when are you going? I'd like to hear how you do. Make sure you have bright colored lures.

Hey nice to see you finally made your way on the forums Troll. Boy that was one heck of a muskie wasn't it. Sure wish she would've hit the lure. Gone Fishin, Troll pretty much covered the fishing part of it. I tell you what, if you are looking for a secluded vacation this wouldn't be a bad choice. There are only two camps I believe on the whole stretch of river you would be fishing, often times while fishing, there won't be a boat in sight. I am sure you and your wife would like the place, when we were there, their were a number of husband-wife couples. The only thing you might want to prepare yourself for is that your gonna be using outhouses for a week shocked.gif Other than that i am sure you would like it, if not here get up to Canada somewhere, not taking anything away from the great fishing we have here in Minnesota, but the secluded wilderness setting up there is one of a kind. Good luck on your decision, if you go let us know how you do. Good fishin, LaVoi