• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass are stupid

SuddenlySummer

Well the truth of the matter is that ALL fish are stupid in comparison to humans or other life forms. But they are as smart as they need to be in order to adapt and survive in the environment where they have been chosen to live. They really don't have much they need to worry about, but some of the "smart" things they do, like most bass going dormant in the winter, is evidence that they are "smart" at certain things. They definately could not design some new invention to save the lake from freezing over(like a human might), but they can make the decision to slow their body rate down in order to survive through the winter. So as you can see it is in all perspective of the situation, and as fishhead stated fish have survived humans, even before there were regulations and limits, so does that make them smarter than us?

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 04-26-2002).]

You guys crack me up....Actually, it depends on the definition of "smart". The thing is, animals, most of them anyway, other than primates, don't have the ability to reason. Most everything they do is based on survival instinct. That's how they evolved. That's not to say that they cannot learn. They can and will learn to avoid certain things, like seeing the same kind of baits over and over again. But basically, they react to every situation with survival instinct. They don't think about it, they just do it.

Set the Hook!!

Lundman

You'll need to provide some pretty hard empirical data before you'll convince me that fish learn to recognize specific lures. It's probably safe to surmise that most fish see NO lures in the course of their lifetime (with the exception of the one that nailed them), unless they are in a small pothole where they see everything.

So then what? Bass are suicidal? Or have they just learned from trial and error that when caught they always get released because they taste like a soggy leather boot?!
They are a hell of a lot of fun to catch-I'll give them that. Even if it's only by accident that I catch them. Some could say it's only by accident that I catch anything but we're picking on bass here right?

Ode to a Dumbbass..........

"Bass are stupid" is what we say,
when we don't have enough to do each day.

In the future let's make a truce,
to stimulate our minds not make them juice.

A better topic might have been...
"spinners or worms....why and when?"

I hope this rhyme is all you need,
to convince yourself not to breed.

I jest with you all to make a point..
To think like a bass, I'd need a joint.

Bass are stupid yes they are.....
but lets leave this topic for a night at the bar.

Thanks and good night.

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota

John
Oh man that is beautifull!I woulnd't have known by your looks that you were a poet.Do you cover that bald head with a black beret and frequent the coffee shops downtown? grin.gif

Love the poem. It says it all. You had this Fishn'Lady crying (from laughing so hard!).

I am one who is hoping the bass are stupid enough to bite on my lure this year.

--------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Bass arnt stupid. Its just my incredible charm, amazing fishing skills, and a way with boats that bring them in. Actually people should be more like bass. Eat all day and spawn all spring.

warroadfisherman

John, that is a good one.

Honestly I don't care if bass are smart or stupid because I don't want to fish for them anyways. I am from "Da Range" and I am always in search or the elusive walleye.

"If you spend valuable walleye time fishing bass in your shiny new boat with your 200 horsepower motor, You must be a 612'er."

Ely lake expert

[This message has been edited by Ely lake expert (edited 05-05-2002).]

612'er ?????

No, I'm a Hoosier.

I suppose that's comparable, huh?

We taint get no wally's down der' in Indy, so's we got to lern to kech dem bass. Yep, I eet em too.

"Ode to a true Basser"

Bass are ate 3 squares no joke,
By Hoosiers, Iowans, and kentucky folk.

We kech em clean em and fry em up,
while screaming at the wife to fill our cup.

We all got Tee's without no sleeves,
and jeans with holes cause we like the breeze.

But it jest don't matter what fish I kech,
Except dem walleyes though are fer the dog to fetch.

"Bass are stupid"......Yep...so what?
They fill my tummy and expand my gut.

Dat's the reason we eat 'em you see...
Cuz my wife...my cousin....likes a shaded tree. grin.gif

------------------

Yes, I'm just making a joke. I love my wife who is a native Minnesotan. I only eat bass from clean water. I do prefer the taste of a walleye and I am obviously not a professional poet.

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 05-06-2002).]