• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakes Of Ten Acres Or Less

TUMBLEWEED

I understand about the stocking,aeration,
and management part needing public access.
But isn't nearly the entire shoreline open
to the public enough?? Make it a carry-in,
but nooooo, they put in this nice ramp,
that virtually assures a damaging impact since the fish have no where to hide.Sure its
great to be able to drive right up there and
dump off the boat.The lake is so small,they
have it at electric motors only.But already
this year, I see the big boats cruising around.If anything,put out a fishing pier
and leave it as it once was,(a carry-in).
I'd bet my last dollar,that the decent
fishing we once had on this tiny lake will
be on its way out.Either that,or they will
end up stocking it all the time to keep
any fish in there.They would've been better
off doing some habitat recovery like dredging
out the creekbed or something.

A small lake nearby, has recently received
heavy pressure because of recent developements,including a new access ramp.
There was/is plenty of shoreline to fish
from, or launch a small boat or canoe.After seeing all the pressure on this small body
of water, my question is what has the DNR
done to protect this lake's resources??
Would putting a limit of say 1/2 the
normal daily possesion help out these
small lakes.I think the DNR has done damage
to this particular lake.It is only about
six acres in size,and judging from what I've seen so far,the impact will be huge upon so
small a lake.

Tumble, I'm not sure but I thought I heard once that a lake needed to have a public access if it were to qualify for DNR management such as stocking and aeration if needed. I do agree with you about that small of lake getting hurt in a hurry if the pressure is too great.

Are you sure the DNR put in the ramp and not the county or city or possibly some other group, like the developer. I think if you check you'll find that the DNR doesn't recognize anything less than 10 acres as a lake. At least that's what I think. I have been wrong before so it could be I am again.

The lake is 6 acres??? I would kiss that goodbye as a fishery. There's not alot of area to support any number of fish. People will be getting skunked soon, if not already. It's probably already too late to prevent any damage...Planning for the future would be in the forecast, however it sounds like consideration has already been ignored for the fish and their habitat.

6 acres can't support a very many fish and and there forage. It's sad to hear that this has happened, but thats the way it goes.

PCG

I live on a lake north of Bemidji. It is a shallow lake and you have to know how to fish it. They put in a public access and now all those 90 hp+ jobs are tearing up the bottom. They hit those shallow bars and you can actually hear it change tones when the reeds and grass are being tore up. Then for the rest of the summer you are bringing up dump when you try casting or trolling. I asked the DNR about a horsepower restriction and was told it was too hard to get it passed. The small resort on the lake always advised against big engines at his ramp. Have seen a big change. Sure wish those folks would wise up.

I fish on two very small lakes/ponds... they are maybe 10 acres each, but not more. They're connected with a nice channel, and receive very light fishing pressure. Thankfully, I don't believe the DNR or any other group plans on putting a access here, there is however area for you to carry on a small boat. It's an incredible bass fishery, yielding 5+ pounders often. Bottomline, if you have spots like these, keep them quiet. Only tell people you can trust.

As always, Good Luck!!!
Rusty