• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing with 2 lines

Paul S

Haven't seen any postings or talk about the legislation this year to fish with 2 lines in open water. There are 2 bills in legislation right now, Senate version 1123 and House version 0242 to allow 2 lines during open water. I heard last night that both bills have passed and are now in conference committee (?), this isn't listed as such on govt HSOforum yet. Anyone know any updates ?
Paul S

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We allow two lines through the ice...can't see a problem with two on open water.

Is this something that would take effect this season? Seems late in the game...
Or next season?

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

i really hope they pass one of the bills because it really stinks sittin on the riverbank with two other guys wondering who is going to get the next bite. o and it's never me! frown.gif

I hope it passes!
Ever sat on a riverbank and watched on rod for four or five hours and the fish don't cooperate? Really boring! I lived in alot of different states in this country, and all of them had two or more line laws. I geuss I just got to used to fishing that way. I don't really care one way or another if I'm on a lake, since I usually only cast, but I wish for a second line all the time when I'm catfishing on the river.

Looks like both of these bills are from the last session. Both houses refered the bills to the Environment and Natural Resources Policy Committee where it looks like they died a quiet death. 1/18/01 in the House and 3/1/01 in the Senate. I have not seen anything this year about trying to pass this again. I recommend all of us write our representatives and let them know how we feel about this.

Latz

I E mailed our House Rep yesterday to see if he could tell me if they have been revived and are truly in conference committee - I'll let you know if I hear anything. You would think if it were true, there would be something in the news about it...still looking for updates...........
Paul S

What's the difference if ya use two lines or one??? If they bite fast...You will only have time for one...When they bite slow, you will double your odds of getting your limit.

All the same, a guy's limit doesn't change. So....Bring it on....

PCG

A guy's limit doesn't change...but fishing 2 lines will let people limit out a lot more often.

I like how things are now...I am not totally against fishing two lines, I do it ice fishing...but would prefer they leave it one line only. If you want to fish 2 lines, visit a neighboring state.

I would welcome the chance to use two lines. I spend alot of time casting and another line in the water would be fun to keep an eye on (while I'm casting). For me, its not about more fish to take home, its about more thrills of catching fish.

Sen Dean Johnson (D) of the Willmar area is the main author of the bill promoting two lines. He is a friend of the family and I contacted his office a couple of weeks ago. The bill is still around but It dosn't sound like its a high priority at the moment....theres just too much other politics going on I think.

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Sure -- and why not go the next step and permit trot lines?

One line is plenty to fish properly, unless you are rigged for Great Lakes trout and salmon trolling. On inland waters let's keep it one line and emphasize skilfull presentation.

I agree with Clayton partailly agree with Clayton. Skillfull presentation is what will catch the majority of the spieces of fish in Minnesota (Walleyes,bass muskies,etc.), but most anglers in Minnesota fish in lakes. Like I said in an earlier post, I think when fishing for spieces like catfish on the rivers with a still presentation it requires the use of more than one rod. The majority of people that I see catfishing on the river don't keep the fish anyway, and I don't believe that populations would be hurt on the river if you could use two lines. If any thing I would like to see a law that says you can use two lines to still fish on rivers.

I am for two lines,but with a couple of
restrictions. You may not use two lines
for trolling.I do not want to see boats cruising all over the place,with a whole
bunch of rods sticking out.Trolling already gives a good enough advantage by
being able to cover more ground,more lines would seem an unfair advantage.(IMO)

Next, there should also be a restriction as to how far the second line can be from you
much like the tip-up rule.

I have always wanted to have a live bait
rig on a bobber going,while I do a little
casting. Also, sitting on shore watching
one line can be pretty slow as well.

Paul S.,
Thanks for the link.It's on the same site that I use.

Dark30 basically has the same idea that I do regarding the use of 2 lines. Making the use of the time I have while fishing. 2 lines would allow for that.

Clayton D.,
I'm sure that you, just as many do, have more than one rod/reel combo set up for different applications. I usually bring 4-5 combos at minimum, each time I go out fishing. Each having a use for different scenarios, or styles, even different species. I think having the option of using more than one presentation helps with the overall fishing experience. And time-management when we are relaxing, is as important, if not more so,than it is when we're working. So, having the option of trying a 3-way rig with a minnow, at the same time as I'm jigging with another line with a fireball/leech setup, enhances the experience for me & helps me find out what the fish might be liking that day.(I do this sometimes when fishing Ol' Miss. where it's legal.) Of course, if the fishing gets hot, then I go to one line, just as when icefishing & the action is fast.

Tumbleweed has a very valid point also,regarding the distance from the line, but I don't think that that point about trolling would be all that necessary. The size of the water being trolled & boater population at the time would most likely restrict most trollers.(I.E.- who'd want to troll 2 lineseach on a small lake, or when there's a flotilla hanging around the water where you'd like to troll.I'd see a hassle in handling multiple lines then. It need not be "legislated".)
I reserve the right to change my mind tho. wink.gif

Anyway, this subject has been discussed at length here at FishingMinn.com before, & has its supporters & non-supporters.
Be sure to contact your state Rep./Senator if you fell strongly enough about this. smile.gif
See ya out there!
wink.gif

Opinions is what this is all about!!

Sooo.....

Until I see something scientific to prove me wrong, two lines will not effect the fishery! However it will improve on fishing!
Just because it is allowed doesn't mean you have to use two lines. I highly doubt there will be complete chaos on the water if it happens. Let's not over react. If anything, a trial season with surveys both creel and fisherman or something might be in order.

If your against two lines that is just fine and dandy. I think this is a step forward not backwards!

This is what me, myself and I think!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

I received a reply from our House Rep today, here is his reply.
"The two line legislation is in a conference committee. If it makes it through the
process, it will probably go into effect August 1, 2002."
So as stated above, let them know how you feel about it.
Paul S

Geez guys...to be honest, I am suprised to see so many in favor of the two line deal. There are only a few situations that I could see an advantage, but even so, it could be bad. How many of the meat hunters actually score a limit in so many hours of fishing? You know how often you would have to wait to tend a rod because they both have fish? While the fish swallows your hook? You can cover SO much more water than you can during ice fishing that you should be able to stay busy with just one rod... For still fishing and low bite rate fishing, say for rough fish, I am all for it. But for most gamefish, it would be bad.

Ice Hole, What's your definition of a meat hunter??? If your talking about someone that goes fishing with the intentions of taking fish home then I fit into that group. Along with alot of other tax paying, licence buying fisherman. A "Meat Hunter" knows that two lines get in the way when the bite is hot.It seldom if ever makes a difference how many lines you use to catch a limit. It all depends on how the fish are biting
I wonder out of the 50 states how many alow more than one line and still have great fishing??? I'm sure not many seeing it's such a "bad thing".
The only reason the bill would be killed is for special interest who would like to see MN become C&R state. Or as close to it as possible. It's all politics!!!!

We almost made it through this thread
without any stupid comments. I guess there is always someone to step up and be the first. smile.gif

Them darn liberals are trying to make us actually work for our fish. Time was
a man just throwd a net out, now them darn liberals want us to use them dern
new fangled fishing poles.

Them darn liberals, first theys make this here state...have the best fishing in the USA, and now...they won't let us drag two lines soo's we can fill up our icebox....I bet the next thing ya know, they be a saying we gotta protect the dern resource!

Dern liberals, heck if we could get rid of um, why.....Minnesota could could be
dern near as beautiful as Texas. I tell
you what, there ain't nothing on earth
as wonderful as a oil rig at sunset. smile.gif
Gul dern liberals!

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com