• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Boat Ramp Story

Back in 83 I was visting out in Pueblo Co. At the Pueblo West Marina the ramp is about 100 feet long and 35 degrees steep and goes right on down into about 75 feet of water. It was a sunny 65 degree Febuary day and we were fishing in the marina cove for Rainbows. We had the luck to watch this beautiful 65 Chev Stepside with dual hitches do the front first launch with a nice little Glastron. The guy then backs up the truck until the trailer is out of the water and stops. He proceded to get out of the truck and walk around back to get something out of the bed, when the truck pops outta gear and rolls right down the ramp and into the water! Now the guy is beside himself watching his truck do the submarine thing, so he WADES OUT and grabs the tailgate trying to keep the truck from sinking into the 75 feet of water he knows is there! Finally he gets his witts (or half) together and wades back out before he goes down with the ship!

Out comes the kid who runs the marina, and he has already got on the SCUBA gear, and here comes the local "on call" tow truck. Down he goes with the cable link, pops up about 25 feet out, says "yup,she made it down about 60 feet!" The tow truck drives to the top of the ramp to level ground paying out about 80 feet of cable and procededs to winch up truck and trailer. As it's comming out of the water the flashers are a flashin, the horns a blarin, all lights are on, it was like a freakin parade!

One morning I was coming off a Brainerd area lake and the famed Babe Winkelman was at the dock filming something. He started ripping on me for getting in his way. I was out and gone in less than a few minutes. That was when I was about eighteen. What a Jerk.

Five or six years ago I was waiting my turn to load up the boat on Lake Hanska when I noticed the guy ahead was having a lot of trouble. He was alone and couldn't get his boat lined up in the very strong cross wind. My nephew and I felt sorry for him so we tied up at the dock and got in the water and helped him. That's when I noticed that he was a conservation officer, in uniform and on duty with his state of Minnesota issue aluminum boat.

The three of us got the thing on the trailer (the wind was really howling now). He never made eye contact, never acknowledged our help and NEVER EVEN SAID THANK YOU!!

And to make matters worse, his black lab jumped in my boat with muddy paws and tracked black, slimy mud all over my clean carpet. The warden saw what happened, smiled and called his dog to get in the truck. They drove away without a word while my young nepehew and I just stood there amazed at how rude and inconsiderate that jerk was. From that day on I vowed I will never, ever do any favors again for anybody in a CO uniform.

(and when they knock on the door of my fishhouse I'm gonna tell 'em to jump in the lake) Polar Bear

went up to basswood lake,annual mid july trip. well my friends wife decided to hold the rope while her husband backed the boat in. this is at moose lake landing. well when the boat took off on the steep landing it pulled her off the dock into the water at 5:30 in the morning!!! what a trooper... did'nt let go of the rope. strange what shocking water did to her breasts.!!