• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many people?

How many people are using braided line for walleyes? 15 pound strength/ 2 lb diameter. I use fireline for casting and for lake trout, but haven't gone to the braided lines for sensitivity on walleyes yet. I know those spring walleyes can bite very lite and it helps to feel them on your hook. The more you can feel, the more you'll boat. Whoever uses braided line for walleyes, what kind do you use? Some line is better than others. And how bad does it fray? If at all.
Thanks everyone, I'm going to try this technique this year instead of mono. But if all else fails, 6lb and 8lb are great for spring walleyes.
Thanks everyone.

Kupcho's Guide Service.
Blackduck, MN

I've used Fireline occasionally and have yet to decide if I like it better than mono. It depends on how I use it. I like it for jigging, particularly in deep water, where the small diameter and lack of stretch give great feel and hooksets. For trolling with live bait I have had trouble with too much sensitivity unless I have quite a bit of line out. In short line situations I tend to pull the hook hard enough to rip it out of the fish's mouth or bend fine wire hooks.

I think that the correct rod design would minimize this problem by having enough "give" to cushion the system.

I agree with setting the hook too hard. I wonder if I would use a 6'6" ultra lite rod, if that would work with braided line. I think then it would compensate for the non stretch line. Thats sounds like it would work.

Kupcho's Guide Service
Blackduck, MN

I have used Fireline on a Loomis 7' 10" rod that I mainly use for a live bait/slip sinker rig for walleyes. It has been a great setup for detecting light bites and the long rod with a fast tip gets a good hookset without using excess force. I just purchased a St Croix Avid in a 7'6" medium light and am considering Power Pro for one of the reel spools I plan to use for live bait this year. I have read good reports on the use of Power Pro line for this application.
Dino

I like braids. Fireline is alright But I wouldnt use it unless you had alloy guides on your rod. Otherwise your just ruining your equipment. You guys should really look at powerpro. As soon as you use that stuff you will never go back to any other kind of braid. Trust me. I use the 10/2 powerpro and I havent had any complaints for it fishing walleyes or pike.

Actually, Fireline is not a braid, it's a fused line. Berkley's Whiplash is a braid, and it is made of the same stuff as Fireline. As a braid, I think Whiplash is far superior to Fireline. I use it for Dipsey Divers on the Great Lakes, as well as my casting reels for muskies. It also works well for trolling and casting for bass and walleyes. Check it out.

Personally I prefer Fireline to a braided superline for most applications.Although it does not have any memory it has more "body" and you get fewer rod tip wraps with it.
For vertical jigging in current or deep water a braid is hard to beat.Its thinner diameter helps cut current and get you down where you need to be.I use Fenwick Iron thread in 8lb.I like it becasue it maintains a round shape instead of going flat and digging into the itself on the reel like Whiplash or Spider Wire.I have not used Power Pro yet but from what I understand it also remains round.

I use fireline for casting and trolling cranks. I keep hearing and reading so many people that like Power Pro line. I looked at the 10/2 yesterday and it looks like tough stuff. I might have to breakdown and try it out. I think I'm going to try it out on a 6' medium lite rod and see how it goes. I think I'll like using it in the summer months fishing a little deeper water. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for everyones input.
The only complaint I've heard about the PP line is that... in shallow water there is too much hooksetting power.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service
Upper Red, Winnie, Blackduck Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/blackduck/
Phone:(651) 426-1545
E-mail: [email protected]