• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Survey? Help?

I have an idea for a neat little gadget that strips old line off a reel, back onto a spool new line comes on, pretty quickly and neatly, with just a drill.
Survey:
1) How often do you strip your old line?
2) How much of your line do you strip off?
3) Would you be interested in something like that?
Any input/info would be greatly appreciated.

The Berkeley line stripper is super. On 14 Lake Michigan rod/reel combos, I change 8 at mid season (monofilament) -- the 14 lb gets replaced by 20 lb.

However, I fear the typical angler is not very concerned about line. I have fished with dozens (maybe more) who have no idea how old their line is, and there are even those who will brag about getting two or three seasons out of the same line.

I'd also like to see more guys recycle their used line. I pick mono out of the water every year.

That one that Berkley has, it just strips the line off the reel into a big pile on the floor, doesn't it? For about $9.00 or $10.00. Or do they have something else? I'm thinking this one I have an idea for puts it back on a spool, put back in the box and send it back for recycling. For about $4.00 or $5.00.

Clayton;
Those guys with the 3 yr old line are the same guys that wonder how come they never catch anything but small ones.
Come to think of it they are possibly the some one who don't check there rod guides for nicks or retie until the lure is lost.
A good rod and a reel with a good drag can make up for a lot "operator error" but they can't compensate for bad line. -nunzio

I have the Brekley stripper too.
My Big lake rods get fresh line once a year. 10 penn 309's wound with 300 yd's. of 15 lb. I used to get alot of exercise pulling line before I got the stripper. It all goes on the floor in a big pile. If you have a cat its a good time to throw it out side. Didnt know you can recycle the old line, I ball mine up and throw it in the garbage. In my area they incinerate the trash so Im not worried about critters gettin coaght in the line. I dont like your spooling the old line idea. It take's up to much room and I dont want old spool's of line layin around.
My other rod's get changed 3 times a season.

Surface Tension --

Most tackle shops have a place for recycle of old monofilament. It is used for a wide variety of new products.

Thanks Clayton.

I was having a beer(s) and got to wondering how much fishing line Minnesotan's throw away every year. After many hour's of consumption I can up with these figure's.
If you tied all the mono to together. You could go from Twig,Mn. to Faro N.D. and back 56,056,00 times. If you put that on a spool it would be the size of the HHH metrodome. Just thought you might want to know.

I'll take your word for it, altho I think my leg in the relay would be pretty long.

you can save a lot of time by just rigging an old spool or even a rolled up newspaper to a rod that will fit in an electric drill....... just hold the button and strip line to beat heck.