• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Top 5 Carp Spots

hydro

Toad-
Where do I get some field corn?

Fishtrap2-
I guarantee a great show if you stick around after the carp tournament. Barefoot skiing, pyramids, and all kinds of other stuff. Plus we hang around afterwards and drink lots of beer.

[This message has been edited by riverbasher (edited 03-29-2002).]

Toad, is a hair rig similar to a spawn sac?

My top 4 carp spots:
1)McCarrons Lake -- boat landing area, caught a 22lber a few years back
2)Clear Lake -- south of Forest Lake
3)Gervais Lake - off Arcade in the channel between Gervais and Spoon
4)Missipppi - many locations from Cities to Saint Cloud

Hi Guys,

Best place to find field corn is at your local feed (livestock) store or co-op. Get it in big burlap sacks for real cheap.

A hair rig is unlike a spawn sack because the bait (corn) is rigged inline-- sort of like a bead slid down a livebait rig-- whereas a spawn sack contains the eggs within its netting.

Again, you simply snell a small octopus-style hook, leaving a 2 to 4-inch section of line beyond the eyelet. Tie a tiny loop at the end of the tagline. Make a bait needle by straighteneing a #1 Aberdeen hook. Slide 4 to 6 kernals of corn onto the straightened Aberdeen. Now, hook the barb of the needle on the tagline loop, securing it in place. Finally, slide the kernals from the needle onto the tagline. Slide a 1/2-inch section of toothpick into the loop and tighten it down. Bingo, the corn is secured in place and your hair rig is readied for battle. Now you'll hook nearly every carp that hits.

(I know it obviously not easy to envision something like this without pictures, so I apologize.) But I'll bet an internet search would likely yield something you could "get your teeth around."

Can't wait for those first carp and suckers of the early spring!

-a friend called Toad

Euro methods and tactics will up your walleye odds too. Just interpret the methods and apply them to field situations on walleye. I use a lot of Euro methods on many different species of fish.

The Europeans are way ahead of us in many ways when it comes to bait systems. The tactics are interesting and a highly productive methodology.

I use a couple of the Euro style rods for catfish, pike, walleye, and whatever else looks good at the time. They are Very fun and productive systems!

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-02-2002).]

On the Illinois Canal, just outside of Starved Rock State Park, I watched a guy demonstrate a European rig for carp fishing. It was a rod holder (two rods) with various settings, and was high tech -- rods were 14 feet long. Cost of rig: $3,000.

Float guru Mick Thill was there to explain how best to chum an area, and how to cast so as not to spook the carp. Obviously, Thill floats had to be used. I've met few folks so enthusiastic about fishing, especially shore fishing for carp, as Mick Thill.

Well I went on down to the ol' Mississippi today and caught 6 carp in about an hour. smallest about 3lbs., biggest about 8lbs. There were much larger ones in there that I could see, in fact, I had one break my 14lb. test line (I would guess it was 20+ lbs.)It was pretty fun to finally catch some big fish. They were bighting very lightly. I'm sure the action will get much better when the water warms up some.

Riverbasher,

In response to your question about what type of hook to use for corn, I use the following:

In water with few snags I use a #4 Carlisle hook with the shank bent back about 5 degrees (to put the point in line for the hookset. The long shank allows you to put on plenty of corn.

In snag filled water I use a #1 or #2 aberdeen, set up the same as above. this allows you to pull free of many of the rocks you will catch on.

For both conditions I use a three way rig with a dropper of about 18" to the sinker. Use only enough lead to stay on the bottom. This rig will keep your line from twisting as it rolls withthe current.

Ok, I don't fish for carp much. But, the best spot i know of is the Wells, Cannon lake/river chain around Faribault. I snag more of them fish then i catch Walleyes when I am actually fishing for Walleyes. I tried fishing for them once with no luck, seems they didn't like the corn because i watched like 20 just swim over it. That knid of made me mad... but o well. Brian

If you do not plan to eat the fish, release it unharmed.

Tossing fish on the bank is illegal and rude to others who fish the area, as well as highly wasteful.

Just because a fish species is not your favorite fish it doesn't mean it isn't another’s.

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html