• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Top 5 Carp Spots

hydro

There is a thread about crappies on the St. Cloud forum that drifted into carp fishing. That prompted me to post this topic of dubious distinction. Instead of just listing "fisheries" how about posting the actual spots and techniques? Fishing for carp is always more interesting in a crowd, and where else can you consistently tie into 5+ pound fish(legally)in the Spring.

I'll start with this one: Just below the St Anthony Falls lock, on the west bank of the Mississippi there is a storm sewer outlet that forms a current break. The faster the water is running the better the fishing gets. Fish the break and just into the slack water side with Niblets or doughballs. Quit when your arms get tired or your stomach is black and blue from the rod butt. (This spot will also produce northerns and smallmouth)

For those of you in the southern part of the state, here is a trophy spot. Fish the inlets on lake Okamanpeedan along the Min/Iowa border. Doughballs or again corn. Crawlers work too but the bullheads will rob you blind. I like wading here. Use to have a blast when a big hog would run into your leg when you didn't expect it. Yowzer! Also some nice cats/pike in this lake. Really shallow!

Big carp also like meat. Good bait if fish head. Buy half a dozen sucker minnows and cut them into 1.5 inch sections -- head is best, but the rest also works.

Cut flesh produces smell and "trail" for carp to follow.

I just posted in the St. Cloud forum but I will again here. Below the dam in Cold Spring is FULL of carp. The whole chain is full of carp but the area below the dam really holds them. It really doesn't matter what you use, they seem to bite on anything. There are A LOT of them and some huge ones. I never got one over 40 but lots of them close to that size. If you like to fish for Carp I would recommend checking out this spot. You won't believe the numbers.ScottS

[This message has been edited by ScottS (edited 03-27-2002).]

Clayton,

Have you ever fished specifically for carp in Clearwater lake? There are legitimate monsters in there and I've tried but never intentionally caught any. I've speared many in the twenties and personally seen a 45 pounder arrowed. I did stick a 32 pounder jigging for walleyes one time I had a blast chasing it down with the boat before I could reel it in.

My favorite carp spot is on the st. croix and mississippi river. We have a boat out there and I catch a bunch of carp, usually just from docks. Most are 5-10lbs. My biggest was about 20-25lbs.

I don't search for carp anymore but the city lakes have some of the largest in the area.
Lake Nokomis, Hiawatha, Calhoun, Cedar,
Lake of the Isles all have monsters in them.
Corn is the way to go, you can throw it
out from the shoreline in the area your
going to fish. That is illeagle with cut bait or any kind of live bait. smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

Carp fishing!
Long Lake. It's loaded with them. Every year during Buckhorn Days they have a carp fishing contest. I'm proud to be part of Team Trix who has won the last 4 of five years. We chum an area on the edge of the weeds (5-6' of water) with corn, load a gold colored hook with corn, use plenty of weight, and keep a tight line. Lots of fun!

hydro --

I've fished carp on purpose mostly in the Rock River in northern Illinois, and in the Merrimac River in Missouri. But, yes I am aware of Clearwater carp. As a matter of fact, the only world record produced in Minnesota (other than line class) was a 55+ carp taken in Clearwater (there are assorted stories about the catch) in 1952. I see 30 pounders every spring, but have not targeted them.

Incidentally, Mick Thill (originator of the Thill floats and an international angling competitor/coach) believes the next world record carp will come from one of several harbors of Lake Michigan between Chicago and Milwaukee. Thill believes carp to be one of the world's greatest gamefish -- and he's no slouch as an angler.

ROCK RIVER???? I FISHED THERE QUITE A BIT WHEN I WAS YOUNGER. ANYWAYS, I CAUGHT THE BIGGEST CARP OF MY LIFE WHEN I WAS CATFISHING A STRETCH OF THE MISSISSIPPI IN ANOKA COUNTY, NORTH OF 694 OFF OF RIVER ROAD.I HAD A 30 POUND SCALE WITH ME AND IT BURRIED THE NEEDLE. STILL DONT HAVE A CATFISH THAT BIG. CAUGHT IT ON CUTBAIT, BUT I THINK NIBBLETS CORN HAS TO BE THE BEST CARP BAIT GOING.

Perchpro,

Corn is the ultimate carp bait. it's cheap, easy to carry (ziploc bag), and and carp love it. In rivers, the bullheads and sheephead don't care for it but will almost always sample a crawler. Buy the cheapest, highest sugar corn you can find.

Keep a tight line and set the hook IMMEDIATELY when you feel a bite. If you are not fase on the set your corn will be gone.

Fishtrap2,

Have you tried that technique in other lakes? Most of the replies in this thread are about fishing in streams or rivers and I have been pretty successful with that, but I have never quite figured out the lake techniques. There are areas in Clearwater and Buffalo where a 10lb fish would seem tiny and it would be a blast to tie into some of those hogs.

What time of year do you fish Long Lake? Is this the lake in New Brighton or some other place?

Is the area below the dam in Granite Falls worth a hoot? I drive through there several times a year, but have never stopped...it looks awesome!
FLB

Hydro-
The Long Lake I fish is in the city of Long Lake just W. of the cities on hiway 12. I fish on the E. side of the lake in the shallow bay where the lake comes right up to E Long lake Rd.. The only other place I've used this technique is on the down river end of the island at the Coon Rapids dam on the Missippi. It's always worked for me. I fish Long pretty much all open water season, my father-in-law lives close and always wants to go there... I guess he's adicted to ugly fish fishing.
Riverbasher-
We usually take off right after weigh in, but I think I'll stick around this year and check it out.

While seemingly out-of-place, Mille Lacs may harbor the largest common carp in the state. Thirtys, 40s, 50s . . .

It's so well known to European anglers (for whom carp = bass or walleye), in fact, that there are travel agencies there who arrange Mille Lacs Carp "Holidays" for diehard traveling anglers.

One absolute can't miss (European) tactic for securely hooking carp is the "hair rig." It sports a #8 or #10 snelled hook with about a 4-inch tag end that terminates with a single loop. With use of something called a bait-needle, anglers rig several corn kernals on this tag line. Since carp "chew" with pharyngeal teeth just above their throat, the hair rig hooks carp very effectively. Carp vaccuum the corn into their throat to taste it, yet when they attempt to blow it back out, the exposed hook catches within the mouth. It's deadly.

Overkill? Europeans don't think so.

-a friend called Toad

CLayton and KOZ another Rock river fisherman here from the early 70's even took a float down it in my stroller while dad was fishing carp there. Those of us on the east side of St.Paul enjoy Lake Gervais in Little Canada. Can't wait to throw an oatmeal ball!!!

Dut-dut-da-dut-da-da-dut…da-da-----da….Carparosa!

1 - Lake Teawauken (ND) Sargent Co
2 - Big Mo River (SD Akaska area)
3 - Big Stone Lake (SD)
4 - Lake Traverse (SD) Wheaton

Fun to catch hook and line, I hate seeing them ZAPPED by bow personally. But if that's your think, go for it.

I had clients from Demshire England last year here for cats and carp. They were in Carparosa heaven on the lakes I mentioned.

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Ok guys I have a really dumb ? relating to using corn for carp. I agree corn has to be the best bait out there but for some reason i have a hard time getting it to stay on my hook without breaking apart. What hook style/size do you guys normally use for carp. It sounds like i may be using one that is too big??? Thanks.......

riverbasher-

That's not a dumb question at all. The canned sorts of sweet corn so commonly used by many anglers is brittle by nature, due to the processing it's put through. Best way to keep it tethered to your rig is to employ a "hair rig" as I alluded to earlier. With this rig, the corn isn't tethered to the hook itself, but rather the 2 to 3-inch tag line that runs beyond the snelled hook.

As to the actual corn, you might want to consider making your own from actual field corn. Fill a large stock pot with enough water to cover 5 or 10 pounds of corn. Boil it gently for at least an hour, or until the water is absorbed. At this point, you can add sweetners and flavorings of your choice-- maple syrup, corn syrup, molasses, or commercially available sweetners-- anything you want really. Continue simmering for a bit longer, then do a taste test. Carp love sweet things.

You want the corn to be just slightly softened, yet still firm in texture. Do this, and your corn won't dissolve and tear apart on the hook. Small fish won't steal it. Finally, bigger carp much prefer the firm texture of prepared field corn over canned corn. It absolutely makes a difference.

-a friend called Toad