• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Procrastinator=Needs Help

LaVoi

Okay I am open for suggestions here. I have a speech I need to write in one of my classes and we'll just say I should have started a long time ago. That is one bad thing about this HSOforum, I spend too much time on it!! I need to write a speech on a controversial issue in natural resources. It consists of two speeches, one that you are for one side, and the other speech I will defend the other side of the topic. Thanks for any help. Good fishin, LaVoi

How about pro-catch and release vs. anti-catch and release?
Another idea may be to debate both sides of the issue of lowering the bag limit of walleyes in MN.
Just a couple of thoughts that have two easy sides to argue for.
Scoot

LaVoi, sounds familiar. I had to do the same type of speech for an Environmetal studies class at Bemidji State. My topic was Indian Res. conservation methods vs. State of Minnesota. This was a bad idea since I was so biased to the state side. Whatever topic you use,try this; Next time you have one of those "raise cash for rent" parties, get everyone together. Get your recorder out and tape everyone cheering, clapping and whistling. Then take the tape to class. At the end of your speech hit PLAY. The Class will love it!
They just might forget how crappy you were at pretending to be Chief White Feather.

Good Luck.

How about the user fee vs general revenue argument -- for example, fisheries are of importance to all, therefore revenues should be general (not just stamps and licenses). Same with game (and non-game animals). User fees narrow financial support of resources important to all -- on the other hand, non-users can argue "Why should I pay?"

LaVoi....sounds like an intriguing project!...I've been on both ends of that kind of assignment, as a student, and as a public speaking instructor. Remember the task is to argue both sides...so take time to develop each argument, and don't let your personal feelings on the topic sway you one way or the other. Lots of good topic suggestions on here. Decide how narrow you want to go...example: arguing pro / con about slot limits on Mille Lacs can be done specifically, or expanded to explore individual liberty issues, i.e. how much do we want to be told 'how to do things' by 'big brother'...

Main thing....keep it simple!...it's a class assignment, your not running for office..9or are you?)...Good luck...you'll find no shortage of hot topics, i'm sure....

How about opposing/defending the issue that people who have DWI's can't legally go into Canada; regardless of how long ago the offense was. There are several monetary and ethical politics surrounding this isssue. Some Americans feel Canadian hunting and fishing should be boycotted for this issue letting the economic impact change the rule. This issue is currently a hot topic in the borderland and I am sure you could (easily) find up-to-date research on it. A simple phone call to Canadian/American customs (asking a lot of questons) could provide a wealth of point of views.

YOU WANT CONTROVERSY? HOW ABOUT THIS ONE...

"OUR ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL RESOURCES, WHERE DID IT COME FROM AND HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN HERE?"

ON ONE HAND YOU COULD SAY GOD MADE IT ALL ABOUT 6 THOUSAND YEARS AGO AND USE THE BIBLE AS REFERENCE. ON THE OTHER HAND YOU COULD SAY IT HAPPENED 2 BILLION YEARS AGO AND USE ALL THAT SCIENCE TO BACK YOU UP. DO THEY PROVE WE CAME FROM POND SLIME IN COLLEGE?

I SAW AN ARTICLE IN THE NEW MINNESOTA VOLUNTEER MAGAZINE.."GEOLOGICAL WONDERS". ITS SIMPLY AMAZING HOW THEY CAN COME UP WITH ALL THIS SCIENCE THAT CAN'T STAND UP TO ITSELF WHEN YOU COMPARE IT TO WHAT GOD SAYS! I KNOW THIS IS A REAL "HEAVY" TOPIC BUT I WOULD BE REAL INTERESTED IN HOW THE EDUCATION SYSTEM WOULD WELCOME SUCH A REPORT. DON'T GET ME WRONG...I BELIEVE IN THE BIG BANG, I JUST DON'T THINK IT HAPPENED YET. GOOD LUCK!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......