• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ideas for meals

The Boy Scouts of America have quite the selection of camping menus/ideas, especially with dutch ovens. Do a search for them and other dutch oven camp cooking and you will get a ton of ideas. I just got into the dutch oven thing last summer. Beef stew, beef tenderloins, cobblers, cakes, and chili were some of the things we made. Dutch ovens are easy and fun. We use them at home as well.

Crab boils are another good camping idea. Use your turkey fryer equipment for that. You will be the envy of the campground.

Anything you can make at home can be made in the campground. Prepare your stuff ahead of time in the event of complex meals, i.e. measure your stuff out, bag it, then bring it. It will be a big time saver.

A staple of any of our camping trips is Vigo's beans and rice. I like the red beans vs. the black beans. You can add anything to that red beans and rice to make it fancier (ring bologna, shrimp, hotdogs, spam) There's not much you can't make when out camping as long as you have coolers and time. I have learned over the years to cut up veggies and stuff prior to the trip and have the meals somewhat figured out ahead of time.

Get one of those 2-sided grill "baskets" you can lock marinated Chicken into them, or a some NY Strip Steaks, marinated Pork Tenderloin, butterfly cut to cook a little faster.

You can cook whole fish in them too, criss cross cut the outside of the body, rub Olive oil and salt on the fish and cook it to prefection over the fire, squeeze some fresh Lemon on it and eat.

You can also get a grilling pan with non-stick inside and cook fresh mushrooms, zuccini, roma tomatoes, summer squash or Red potatoes and Onions.

Hope thses ideas spur your imagination!

take some foil along and do hobo dinners

I like to cut up onions, potatoes, and peppers. Season however you want, and add meat if you're into it. Wrap well with foil and plop right onto the coals for 20-30 mins

instant dinner! its delicious

grilled cheese, rice/beans, fish... lots of good camp cooking methods and ingredients

We improvise. So far we haven't disappointed ourselves either. Last year at our annual ATV/Camping trip we improvised a lot for breakfast one day and discovered a terrific recipe.

It was the last morning and we decided we wanted to use up leftovers. One of the guys had brought some chili, which we had for dinner the night before. We had a few potatoes, various peppers (hot), some onion, eggs, cheese, bacon, and venison sausage. We blended everything together into a scrambled egg, spud, and chili breakfast. I would have never thought of mixing chili with eggs. Turned out pretty darn tasty.

Plan out a few menus that you can put in food saver bags and freeze em. Take them along and all you hafta do is heat them up in a dutch oven in the bag/s. They also work good for keping things cool in the ice chest. I've done sliced roasts, pepper steak, ham and beans, spag & meat sauce, stew, the list goes on. Just use your imagination.

Ditto the hobo vegetable foil packs. Pair that with a cheap and easy meat dish - lean sirloin steak and/or boneless chicken thighs you marinate in ziplock bags ahead of time and freeze. They thaw in the cooler and you simply throw them on the grill.

Our favorite by far, though, is deep fried tilapia using McCormick's fish and chips batter. Its pretty easy too and we fry some sliced potato wedges first, keeping them warm in foil while we fry the fish afterward. To do that, though, you'll need a camp stove. I'd highly recommend investing $60 or so in a basic Coleman one or whatever if that works for you. It provides a much more reliable and easy to use heat source than a fire or grill.

Quote:
The pie cookers are nice for making sandwiches, especially for the kids - grilled cheese, ham and cheese, pepperoni pizzas, etc.

Just make sure to butter the outside of both sides of the sandwiches to avoid sticking, talking from experience.....