• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

chipper blades or lazer blades ?

793bob

Used them all except a Nils and the Lazer is the quickest.

Don't ask why here's the arsenal,

2 Strikemaster 2hp heads, and an electric strikemaster

2 7in Lazers (my favorite for all around fishing)

1 8in Lazer, 1 10 in Lazer, and an 8in chipper.

Also a monsterous old Jiffy 3hp with 10.25in chipper, 6in Lazer hand and a busted Jiffy electric 8in. Had a 10in Strikemaster auger stolen once too.

As far as blades it would be safe to say I buy new blades every couple years. It seems the 10in blades wear cutting through 3ft of ice very quickly. For 10 inch holes would rather convince a friend to drill holes with the giant Jiffy. A few years read an article by Genz stating a 7 inch hole was best but now the blades are tough to find. Most stores don't carry that size so they have to be ordered online. As far as opening old holes in the wheeled house or LOW house like to use the electric. For drilling on the ice the electric is too slow and with the cords your too limited. If you wanted to buy an auger and not put very much money into it buy a chipper. If you're like me and like to drill a lot of holes in a short time frame get the lazer.

The other day was out on the ice drilling holes and a guy not far away was drilling holes with a newer Jiffy with a chipper and can honeslty say it was about a tie for speed with the "sharp" Lazer.

Looks like I was too late, but my vote would be the shaver. I got 10+ years out of my original set, and though I maybe did not drill as many holes in the early years, I will have drilled near 1000 holes at the end of the season with the new set. I do not push down on my auger at all and I have 600 or so holes in the books. I agree that they are more prone to trouble with grit/sand/etc, but they can't be beat when they are working.