• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota lynx "Updated day 2"

Today I went back and forth about going out with the camera or not because of the poor lighting and snow. I finally decided around noon to go out any ways. I have been trying to find a lynx for the last couple of week and boy did I get a surprise. Not only did I find a lynx, I found a mother and her 3 youngsters. What are the chances? They were walking down a forest road in the direction of my car but were about a mile away. I actually thought it was wolves till I put up my binoculars. I didn't realize they were out hunting at the time. They retreated over a snow bank and a few minutes later a snow shoe hare came out onto the road running for its life. I decided to get out and walk up on them, figuring that they would cross back over the road eventually. About a half hour later another hare came flying across the road and a lynx was right behind it. They were only about a 100 feet away but it was totally silent. I didn't have time to react, it happened so quick. The forest is so thick, you can't see anything on either side of the road. I crept up to were the lynx had crossed and on the other side of the road sat one of her kittens hunkered down watching me. I got two pictures and it bounded into the woods across the snow. I stepped off the road and it was waist deep to a6'2 tall guy. With their large paws they were able to walk right across it. I stuck around for a few more hours hoping I would get another chance of photographing them and it wasn't till right before dark that one started walking up and down the road about a 1/2 mile ahead of me. I decided it was to late to shoot anyways so grabbed the binoculars. I watched it spraying trees on the sides of the road and marking its territory. Its not every day you get to see wild cats. I didn't come back with the best pictures but the experience was well worth it the drive.

4335594257_475c1224da_o.jpg

4336338388_387d982de4_o.jpg

Dang Jay, you lucky dog. I'd love to experience something like that. Of course, it will never happen around here. mad Congrats on getting a decent photo of one. She sure is giving you the eye. It's a great pose.

You've had quite the winter. But then, you have worked for your shots and burned a little gas.

I got pictures of a bobcat in our front yard this january....he was eating on what was left of a hind quarter of a deer that wasnt yet disposed of. when we would leave the house he would run into the brush a short way then sneak back soon after. I was not even aware that we had lynx this far south of the canadian border and I also dont live too far from hibbing and to set out to take pictures of a lynx and get shots like that....you must have your stuff TOGETHER!!

I got pictures of a bobcat in our front yard this january....he was eating on what was left of a hind quarter of a deer that wasnt yet disposed of. when we would leave the house he would run into the brush a short way then sneak back soon after. I was not even aware that we had lynx this far south of the canadian border and I also dont live too far from hibbing and to set out to take pictures of a lynx and get shots like that....you must have your [poorwordusage] TOGETHER!!

I went out again to try and relocate the lynx from yesterday. Its about a 150 miles from my house so I left a little earlier and was there by 10:30. It only took about a half hour before the first snow shoe hare came running by. A few minutes later the four lynx appeared and slipped into the forest before I could get any pictures. I waited another hour or so and decided to drive to the next road over and wait. I figure if they keep going in the direction they are headed they will come out onto this road. At 4 o'clock they appeared, mom first and then one of the babies. She stayed visible enough to get a couple good pictures and then moved under a spruce tree. The youngster wanted a better look at me so came into an opening between two pines and was looking at me. To keep its attention, I tried the meow mix song. I dunno why, but it work. It worked so well that it was ignoring moms calls and she was getting mad. It sat there a few minutes looking at me and would turn to look into the woods where its mom and now siblings were calling from. Can't say I have ever heard a chorus of lynx before. The curious one looked like it wanted to come home with me and be a house cat. Finally, mom came back and almost pushed it over to get it moving and they were gone.

Momma cat, she looks like one tough kitty. Av 9 Tv. 1/250, iso320, 260mm

4339309912_2365deb04d_o.jpg

Curious George. Av-9, Tv-1/100, iso 320, 400mm

4339309904_0509978323_o.jpg

my two cents but Im fairly confident I could go out and get decent wolf shots and im no photographer I have some wolf shots but they were in the yard and I took some pics id have to work a bit but I see plenty of timber wolves every year while bowhunting so id have the confidence factor. Ive never seen a lynx in the wild. and you got great pictures setting out to do so! NICE! Your obviously very serious about what you do.

Originally Posted By: Steve Foss
Dude!

The Meow Mix song. I'll have to remember that one. gringringrin

Do you really think that will work on wolves?

I don't need anything to work on wolves. I've been there and done that. Lynx, on the other hand . . .

Congrats again, Jason! Hard enough to get close to a predator that rare and wary. Harder yet in the heat of the moment to keep your presence of mind and make your camera perform as an extension of yourself and frame excellent and compelling compositions. That's pro dedication, knowledge and performance right there.