• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

200 kHz

MNUser

If you have a sounder running 200 kHz and FL-8 running 200 kHz in the same boat, can you hook them to different batteries so they will not dislike each other?

Any help would be great...

PS. Does anybody have any experience with Garmin GPS/Sounders?

Dman I have to respectfully disagree. I run souders with the same frequency with little or no interferance. Vexilars seem to interfere no matter what frequency sounder your using. This is the only reason I bought a Vexilar. I personaly think there junk. My video's and LCR's out perform the Vexilars by a wide margin. But when your in a shack and people crowd you with a Vexilar you either buy on or fish blind. I think Vexilar is well aware of this interferance and use it as a marketing ploy. I cant tell you how much distaste I have for Vexilars. I had to get that off my chest. Good Luck, ST.

When i run my Lms-350 and x-85 at the same time, the screens on both are distorted. They both run at 192hkz. Can i ask what models and what frequencies you run at the same time with no interference?

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 03-23-2002).]

Yes Lowrance's at 190khz have that problem. with each other. Hes an example of what I have found. Interphase and say Coden at 200khz are happy with other in any combo. Now say you threw a Hbird,egale, or lowrance in with the mix and all is good. Now mix a Vexilar with any of these and you will get interferance. All findings would be with gain set to double echo just to keep a constent comparison. It would be nice if I documented all these findings over the years to have a compatibility list. But I didnt.

This is one of those "laws of physics" that you'll just have to make the best of. Since all sonars use the same principle of pinging a transducer at a set frequency and listening for an echo to greate an electrical pulse back to the amplifier, they will inescapably pick up each others signals. The input circuit will filter out the received signal based on a bandpass filter centered around the pinged frequency. If you have two sonars operating at 192KHz they will pick up each other's signals. On a Vexilar you will see this as a light rotating around the display. The speed of the rotation is proportional to the difference in their actual operating frequencies.

Since the bandpass filter in different brands of sonars will be slightly different, the degree of interference will vary between combinations of sonars, signal power, transducer mounting angle, and other variables. The best way to deal with this problem is simply to adjust the gain of the amplifier by adding supression until the offending signal is minimized or eliminated.

To completely eliminate interference you could design your own sonar that used a programmable, digitally encrypted pulse train type signal like the type used on a garage door transmitter. Wouldn't that be cool?