• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LAKE MICHIGAN SALMON

SuddenlySummer

Does anyone here ever cross over and drop a line in lake Michigan? There's nothing like a 20+lb. king ripping line from your reel. It's been two years since my annual trip ended to door county. If you get over there, what is your comment on the water clairty on the kings. Two years ago, you couldn't by a bite after 8:00 AM.

I've had over 30 years of Lake Michigan fishing, and one of the mysteries to me is why Minnesotans head to the northern basin of the big pond. DNR and various creel census data reveal what many of us know anyway, the highest frequency catch is in the southern basin. More guys should take I-94 to Milwaukee and fish there, as well as just south of Milw in Racine and Kenosha.

Yes, the lake is considerably clearer due to water filtration by billions of zebra mussels. It used to be that I'd lose sight of my trailer tires as I launched my boat. Those days are gone. You can see flashers behind downrigger weights at 30 feet (if the wave action is right) -- but, the key to catching kings is being where they are. Kings (or Chinooks) are feeding machines. They are only in the lake for about 3 years, but grow to nearly 40 lbs (sometimes more). They don't stop feeding at 8 a.m., they move out and deeper, or whereever they need to go to forage on alewives and other critters.

Lake Michigan may well be the finest fishing hole in the world. (Now the Lake Erie guys will respond.)

Went last year, and am going again. Can't wait. Go to Milwaukee and let your wives go to Summer Fest, and you fish. Or you both can go. We caught many fish, no kings, but lots of fish right out from Port of Washington harbor.

I HAVEN'T MADE THE TRIP FOR TWO YEARS NOW BUT HOPEFULLY THIS YEAR I CAN MAKE IT AGAIN. I'VE BEEN OUT OF PORT WASHINGTON ONCE AND DID REAL WELL ABOARD THE BARBIE DOLL CHARTER (THEY WILL BE AT THE SPORT SHOW)

MOST OF MY TRIPS WERE OUT OF KEWAUNEE WITH A FRIEND IN HIS BOAT. WE USUALLY STARTED GOING OUT AROUND THE FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND FOR KINGS,BROWNS,LAKERS, AND SOME BEAUTY STEELHEAD! GOOD TIMES INDEED!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

If you guys check it out, you'll find that the hottest port for variety (laker, brown, steelhead, coho, chinook) is Kenosha -- and you'll find the best ratio (fish per angler hour) in Kenosha. You also get the longest season -- 10 to 20 lb browns are being caught in the harbor right now, with occasional cohos and steelhead. There are also some giant sized brookies.

As for things to do-- Kenosha puts you in the Chicago-Milwaukee urban corridor -- name it, and it's there.

Hey guys, I'd like to know more about Salmon and Trout fishing on big lakes.

Does it have a season (I mean a time where they feed and bite more) ?

I'd like to go up to Superior and try them.

Any suggestion.

Thanks.

Val

I fished for salmon once (by Vancouver Island) and I LOVED it! However, It's a long way from MN. I've heard a lot about Door Co. but don't know enough to book a trip there.If any one could suggest a guide service in Door or Kenosha I would apreciate it. thanks.

My wife and I have fished with Kodiak II Charters out of Algoma, WI on two occasions. The service is warm and friendly and the fishing was great -- lots of nice steelhead, some decent coho, some good lakers, and 1 huge salmon between out two outings. I would suggest this charter outfit to anyone.

For Kenosha info, go to their Convention & Visitor Bureau HSOforum and get an address or phone number for the Charter Boat Association. I've fished with several of the charter captains, but use my own boat almost all of the time. The charter fleet is good, and association members do not open the organization to anyone who gets a captains licence.

You guys considering Superior should visit the BWCA-Duluth forum and ask. There's not so much trout/salmon action on big, deep, and cold Superior as in L Mich, but there's action. Mixed bags are common in the Apostle Island area of Superior.

You can find some nice fishing on Superior, but it is very cold water. Went last year out of Grand Marais and had a good time. We caught mostly lakers, but I think we got 5 cohos as well. The coho fishing is dependent on alot of timing on Superior. It wasn't hard to catch 20-30 lakers in one day though. Biggest was probably 5-6 lbs. Downriggers and gold spoons. 60-150 feet were best for us. Got all of our cohos on planner boards and flies.

Valv

A nice feature about the southern basin of Lake Michigan is that there is some fishing going on just about year round. The feds impose a season on lakers (that's a long story), and the current perch crisis has caused all four L Mich states to impose strict bag limits and closed seasons -- however, the fun is with coho, kings, steelhead, and browns. If you can get on the water, you can fish for them.

Even dead of winter offers good fishing in the harbors -- both open water and thru the ice. Cohos are now being taken of Indiana and Illinois, with Wisconsin anglers taking occasional salmon and some browns. Big browns are taken every spring in late March and thru April. And, there's fish from shore. Tributary waters are open up to the first bridge (in some instances)or the first dam (other instances) -- check the regs.

Valv,

Go the extra miles to Michigan. You can catch a bunch of lakers on Superior which is fine. They shake for a minute then roll over. NOTHING compares to a King Salmon that you'll get in lake Michigan. I've caught several 47+ inch muskies and they pail in comparison to a King Salmon.

DO THE DRIVE.

Suddenly Summer

I would agree with you on that. Your chances of catching anything large in Superior is slim to none. But if you are looking for a fun, quick trip, Superior is fun. And in the heat of August, it's cool and refreshing. I have a trip to Chicago/Millwaukee area June 6-10th planned and hopefully a trip to Superior as well. God I hope I can get a king this year!!!! I tell you fresh salmon is the best!!!

obviously nobody has cheched out chequamegon bay by washburn or bayfield wi. there are alot of kings in there that average 15+ pounds also youcan get steelhead, lakers, splake,walleye, and browns that average 24" or better. so you really don't have to travel
all that far and the scenery is out of this world smile.gif

I DID mention the mixed bags possible in the Apostle Island area -- Nonetheless, the fishing there cannot compete with southern basin Lake Michigan. WDNR data will confirm the high catch ratio and size for southern Lake Michigan, where, incidentally, browns and cohos and occasional steelhead are now being caught.

Lake Superior is magnificent. It simply is not the fishery Lake Michigan is.