• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes on Opener

Where do you guys usually head on opener, i.e. depths, structure, bottom content, for walley gators?

I have usually gone to the same areas that hold July Crappies, that being 8-12 feet of water near the old weed edges and rock to mud trabsition areas near points and bars.

Thanks for your replies..

Good fishing

PCG

WE'LL MORE THAN LIKELY BE SITTIN IN THE SAME SPOT AS LAST YEAR, TOSSING FLOATING RAPS UP INTO A CREEK MOUTH IN THE DARK. TWO FEET OF WATER AND BING BANG BOOM!

FISHHEAD AND I ARE HEADING TO RED WING IN THE MORNING TO TEST HIS NEW BOAT OUT. HOPEFULLY WE CAN COME BACK WITH SOME FISH STORIES!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I like the rivers for opener.Depth ,location and technique all depend on spring timing and what stretch of river I fish.If it is a late spring I head straight to areas where fish may still be hanging around after the spawn.Any dam is good at this time or shallow gravel beds(2 to 7ft) or creek mouths.If it is an early spring I will tend to fish a little deeper.I target the edges of holes on the bends and channel edges.If the water is still high and running fast I target the breaks right at the shoreline.Sometimes they are so shallow that you need to cast onto the bank and hop your offering into 6" of water.

Fish and Dark,
Are you fellas talkin' about Minnesota River walleyes? Do you ever keep a few for a meal? And if you do, how do they taste? Just curious...
I'll be fishing anywhere there's water and walleyes on the opener. I wonder if the early warming trend we had a few weeks ago is going to affect their spawning and spring patterns. What do you guys think?

HI CANOPY!

I'LL BE FISHING A LAKE OUT BY WILLMAR FOR OPENER. AFTER THAT ITS PRETTY MUCH ALL RIVER FOR ME!

WE DON'T KEEP TOO MANY FISH BUT ONCE IN AWHILE A FEW SAUGERS GO DOWN THE HATCH AND I THINK THEY TASTE FINE. THE RIVER SHOULD BE GOOD THIS YEAR THE WAY THINGS LOOK NOW. THE MINNESOTA RIVER CHANGES ALOT AND TACTICS NEED TWEEKING EVERY YEAR.

LOOKING FORWARD TO FISHING WITH YOU!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I'll be dragging a floating Rap or floating Rattl'in Rouge over 2 - 4 feet of water, after dark of course. Nothing like getting banged by a 25" in the middle of the night.

I usually head to the Upper Miss for the actual opener.(I can fish the MN any time)The tactics remain the same.On the MN I usally stay very shallow because the water is running high,fast and VERY dirty.I have had the best luck at the creek mouths.The little washout holes created by the two currents meeting are great places to target.Including right next to the bank on either the upstream side or downstream side of the creek mouth.And if the the river is really flooded fish the creek where the flood waters meet the fresh creek flow.

Kidd,

I know where you're coming from. Dragging lures shallow at night is one of favorite tactics for eyes.

Another plus of fishing at night is not as many boats and NO SUNBURN grin.gif

Borch,
Are you going out of your Dad's place on opening night? I am planning on launching about 2:00 AM. I would love to touch base with you by radio or cell phone if I know you are on the water. Have you registered a team for the L.E.T.S. yet?