• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice-out guesstamations

Rippinlip

It is that time of year again to guess what day you think your favorite body of water is going to be ice-free.

For me that would be Lake Mazaska in Rice County and my guess would be.......
April 11th.

They way March has been so far I'm not looking for an early ice-out on Clearwater. If you had asked me two weeks ago, I'd have said mid-March. That's now only a week off and we have more ice than we had in Feb.

And I do wish it would stop snowing. We had flowers coming up last month, and they're now buried under several inches of new snow. I was amazed we got 12 people out last nite for precinct caucus -- roads were messy.

The average ice out date, up on the big "V", is the 27th of April. The lake has been making more ice than it did during January. It could be a late one, unless the weather shows some improvement.

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

You really aren't optimistic are you?? Here is what I know. We are at least a foot of ice short of what we normally have around the DL area( yesterday I measured 15-20"), so i'm going to go with an april 15th ice out. You need to realize the strength of the sun this time of year. Should be a pretty normal ice out I'll guess. Just need to see the sun though!!!!

This mild winter was pushing toward a late March ice-out in the Alexandria area. Two years ago ice-out was March 27...earliest in a hundred years. Last year April 27....This year...

Even with the recent cold snap, the mild February weather and melt caused a lot of honeycombing...and now even 20 degree days will melt with the sun at a higher angle...

My guess would be April 10...or sooner (hopefully)...

Wastewater -- Altho ice on Clearwater is unpredictable and in parts dangerous, it is still ICE. Without major weather change, we are at least 3 weeks off for "ice out."

BJ may have to rethink his crappie tourney.

Ely lake,

I withdraw my prediction. I'll go with April 22. I honestly would still drive on some of the lakes. Last weekend I found 2+ feet. Some lakes with muddy bottoms are really weak though. The ice is falling apart in some spots. Some sunshine will do wonders to the ice.

We could have ice out in the next week or two the way it is going today. We have alot of open water, with the wind at 15-30 the next two days, it will go fast. I put all my ice fishing stuff away today. Where I was ice fishing yesterday is now open today, so I better quite!!!!!!!