• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Poll:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left
Left
Right

I'd have to call myself an ambi...cast w/either arm, write left handed, throw w/right arm, kick w/left foot, bat left handed (right eye dominant), shoot right handed. I wrestled years ago and could perform most all moves either way.

FLB

Right
Left
Left

Or

Right
Left
Right

My general preference is to cast with my power hand (Right) and reel with my opposing (left) hand.

Flat line trolling or casting cranks I prefer a left handed retrieve baitcasters in my right hand and a right-handed retrieve reel in the rod holder to my left.

For two handed river slip jigging I use a right and left spinning reel at the same time, left in right hand, right in left hand.

Bait sets it doesn't really mater too much because I can cast and reel either as easily.

I do prefer spinning reels for most of my client’s needs (Unless they request baitcasters) because spinning reels are ambidextrous by nature. Spincast offer greater amount of flexibility of use, less to drag along on any given trip as you simply switch the handle and you’re set to go. My personal preference is Baitrunner reels for cats and other big game.

For the Spincast fans I would highly recommend you consider adding at least one BAITFEEDER style reel to your collection.

They function well for dead-sticking, trolling, bait rigging, slip floats, and much more. Several new manufactures have added Baitrunner style spinning reels to there line in 2002. Some are better then others by far.

My preference has been the Shimano Baitrunner ($120 to $100) or Silstar BAITFEEDER ($95 to $80). I plan to try the new Shakespeare Tidewater this season, it looks good for rigging for walleye and is reasonably priced ($50 to $55) depending on model. Another newcomer is to the Baitrunner game is the Quantum HEAT BCS (available in Europe only at present).

Shakespeare may have an ultra-lite Tidewater model in 2002 that will be very sweet for an ice fishing dead-stick reel. I sure hope they do it is a great idea. The smallest they make now is the TWS40FL and it is rated for 10/180, still a bit large for most ice duty but will work well on a boat dead-stick system. Quantum has a ACS 320 rated for 6/160 that is a bit lighter although it is not available in the USA yet. This may be the one to keep your eye on for 2002 if it busts into the US market?

More new cool toys, ya just got to love it!

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Right handed.
Spinning reel-cast right, reel left.
Bait-caster - right, right.

My wife doesn't like it when I had her my spinning reel. "The crank is on the wrong side!"

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I'm Left handed.
Cast with left hand and reel with right hand for any reel.

A lot of variety out there. It's amazing how complicated some of you get or should I say sophisticated?

I have a nephew who turns the spinning rod upside-down so he can crank right handed. I've told him the reel can be adapted for right-hand retreive, but he knows better.

Spinning reels. left
Baitcasters. left
Always have tiller in my left hand so I've always had my rod in my right hand.
For casting I'm mostly right handed but go left frequently when conditions force me to.
Netting goes either way, whatever works at the time. I fish off the portside of my boat.
I write, eat and catch baseballs with lefty also. I need to pick up a couple new baitcaster reels for clients soon, should I get right handed or left handed? lol Good subject! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Right
Left
Right

I wonder how many of us started out with da
ole Abu Garcia's and Mitchell spinning
reels?? No choice there,had to learn to
use that left hand for reeling,remember
those days!!! I wonder how many of those
"Lefty" spin folks started out with one of these,and never looked back after the switchable handles came out,and how many of the "Righty" folks used the newer,switchable
syle???

Better yet, anyone out there still use one?!
With all my Shimano,Daiwa stuff,I still got
a Mitchell 300,that gets used during the year.

In fact,I just realized that ALL my Shimano and Daiwa spinning rigs are set up for a left hand retrieve!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by TUMBLEWEED (edited 02-28-2002).]

no_spam,
As a point of clarification, does your first question "Are you right or left handed_______" mean:
(1) are you right or left handed (or)
(2) do you cast with your right or left hand
I think your survey results may vary some depending upon how the question was interpreted. For instance, even though I'm left handed, I normally cast with my right arm...of course, I may be a genetic mishap, too.
FLB