• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opener vs. MOTHER'S DAY

The opener is an exciting event for everyone, and my wife and I always break the new season open together. We even take my mother-in-law fishing in the afternoons. I don't need a story, they get to fish without a license for the whole weekend and it keeps everyone happy. The game warden didn't even know that law last year when we got checked!

I just fish on Saturday of opening weekend if at all. As excited as I am to fish it's really ammatuers weekend(especailly at the landing). Fishing on Mother's Day really got me into to trouble when I was first married. Just a note to any newly weds with young children, Don't say "Well you're not my mother!" I guarantee it won't go over well shocked.gif Especially on mothers day.

Have a good one!

I haven't been home for mothers day in
32 years, I always call my mother the day before I leave and I take my wife out for dinner the nigtht before.

My wife understands my passion for the
first day of the season. All the crowds
and the once a year anglers, are all a big part of what "opening day" is.

I'd rather miss Christmas, than not go fishing on the opener. I spend the day with my father, brothers, son and grandson...my grandfather started this
over 50 years ago, so the women in my
family have gotten used to it. smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

My mother and my wife have just had to learn that fishing opener is one thing I am not going to miss.I may sometimes try to be home on sunday but hey its the opener!

This is a pretty easy question to answer for me. My wife's birthday usually falls on Mothers Day so it's a double whammy for me. The other thing is it's a long season and like others have said it can get a little crowded. Grouse and Ducks are my 1st love and I don't get to bent about the opener for those either. To many leaves for Grouse and to short of a day for Ducks.

The person that decided to make the opener on the same weekend as Mother's Day must be single, female, or else just loves the idea of getting others in trouble. HA HA! rolleyes.gif

Last year the kids took both of us "Mothers in Law" fishing and we had a ball. Except it was kind of cold. We showed horses for years and there was always a show on Mothers day. My mom knew Mothers day was never on a weekend - it was usually on Wed before we left for show. So take that wife, mother, or mother in law fishing. You might have fun and think of the points you will make! But don't forget the flowers - just in case you need more brownie points! rolleyes.gif

------------------
Phyl

I told my 3 sons what I want for mother's day is to spend the entire weekend fishing! They are staying with friends and I will have a kid-free (hopefully walleye filled) weekend. No gifts-just fish!

I agree with walleye queen - I just want to go fishing! But I would like a nice sunny, warm day to do it!!!! Oh, I also do not want to cook for the entire day!

------------------
Phyl

Like duckbuster, my wife's birthday falls on mom's day or the day after. I used to do a canoe trip to the BWCAW for opener...now I'm in the bait and tackle biz, so I'm committed to being busy that weekend. Usually will try to take the kids out and give her some 'alone' time...best gift, right?

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

My wife graduates from UND on Sat and Mother's day on Sun. No doubt I am staying home. Luckily I will be heading to Devils Lake on Sunday.
Phyl, I see you are from Hawley and used to show horses. Do you know Joey Jorgenson?
Tully

My mother loves mothers day because its one of the few days of the year that she doesn't have to deal with us "kids" even now that both my brothers and I are in our 20's, she still appreciates a nice weekend of peace and quiet, and a good walleye fry on Monday night. I just got engaged a few months ago, and I hope my fiance will feel the same way my mother does. I'm crossing my fingers and counting the days...a week to go till I'm in heaven on Lake Vermillion!!!

This is easy for me. . .I made the "hmmm. . .fishing opener? - Mother's day?" comment in the truck the other day. My wife shot back "You better be taking me fishing for Mother's day!"

Well my Wife and I went out last night and where I'm fishing next week is close to my folks so I think I'm covered. Just can't forget a couple of cards!

May all the Moms have a great Mothers Day!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

How about a rememberance to mother's? Although my mom was very stern about attending church every Sunday, when I woould come home to Alex, she would tell me I could pray just as well on the lake. Then she would take my kids all day so I could fish.
Miss her everyday.

All you guys should take advantage of the time you have with your mothers because you never know when they won't be there. This could be the last mothers day I have with my mom. She has cancer and is not expected to make it to long. Remember the fish will always be there, your mothers will not.

Here's what we do gals...pretend worst case MN disease.....mosqultoitis...I've had it for last two weeks...NASTY! I am fortunate to have hubby who makes wood boats as a hobby...mine being the best! But since I'm not up to par in the fishin dept. this week...Minnesota Flu! those guys of mine are heading to Winnibigoshish! And...we live on a prime lake! But...the boat that they are taking...too big for home lake! Watch out for...25 foot cabin cruiser woodie!!! They are doing some tweekin with motor and boat as well as fishin!