• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Manufacturers

Lund
Alumacraft
Crestliner
Tracker
Polar Kraft

I'm looking to purchase my first fishing boat. Any comments on the above makes? Is one any better than the other? Does it all come down to price? Dealership? Service? I really liked the Polar Kraft's, but am kind of leery that only one local dealer sells them (Hallberg).

Also, if I don't plan on using my new boat on really big water very often, is it a mistake to go with a 14 footer?

Thanks!

In Minnesota it's almost a requirement for citizenship to own a Lund -- but, they are good. You won't go far off with any of the Genmar family, altho some get pricey (far example, the Ranger aluminums). People in these parts will scoff, but Tracker is a fine boat -- I currently own a Targa 18.

In addition to those you named, look also at MirroCraft. If you are going with a 14 footer, they have a good one (wide & deep). Frankly, you ought to talk with someone about a 16 footer. It will open more options for you and give you more boat over the long haul. A fine boat I owned is the Lund 16 Pike model with 40 hp. I used it on small lakes and also on Lake Michigan (altho I don't advise going that small on the Great Lakes). The 16 with side console made a more versatile boat than you'd get with a 14. Remember, however, there is no single boat that will fulfill all needs. It will involve a compromise.

Good luck on your choice. It gets addictive.

IMO.. there are only three makes of boats... Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner. I have owned three Lunds (Currenty have a 2001 16.5 Rebel V, with a 2000 40hp Merc 4 stroke) all have been great boats and held their value really well. I have not owned a Alumacraft or Crestliner, but I fish a lot with a few guys that do and they are also a very nice boat. I am not running down any other makes of boats, but these three makes would be the only ones I will look at when I am going to buy. smile.gif

------------------
Just having Fun.
Love to Fish.

It sounds like you're in need of 16 ft Lund.
I've two Lunds and had nothin but luck. If you ever need service, it right around the corner and there are so many styles and option you can get to suit your individual needs. Its always nice to have the extra room of sixteen footer. That way you got more room for buddies and beer and can still hit up some of the larger lakes.

[This message has been edited by Bigguns3 (edited 02-20-2002).]

Spydie - You need to think bigger! We have a 16 foot that should seat 6-8 which it does. But by the time you get all the tackle, lifepreservers, cooler, etc. etc. in there is no room and it is crowded for 2 people to fish in. I am still kicking myself for not driving down to Mpls and looking at an 18' I saw advertised when I purchased mine and we don't even go on the big lakes. Best of luck finding a boat!

------------------
Phyl

There isn't enough i can say about my Lund. A great first boat for under $12,000 i would recommend is the new Explorer 1675. Its wider this year and has the IPS hull. If your looking for a good honest dealer, check out www.hannaysmarine.com Oh yea, don't for get to put a Yamaha on that Lund grin.gif

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

You would be amazed how much difference the two feet makes. I would never go any smaller than a 16'. Every year when we go to Canada and use the resorts boats it sure it tough getting used to the 14'ers. Good luck, LaVoi

I just purchased my 1st boat, a Lund Mr. Pike 17, 115hp 4stroke Yamaha, 65lb 24v minnkota AP that will sit on a 2400 lb shorelander with a swing tongue. No one was within $800.00 of rapid sport marine. The sales guy I was dealing with stressed the importance of a good trailer and the fact that you are probable going to grow into a boat so don't cut yourself short on the length. And always remember, "An under powered boat is an unsafe boat", just a saying a friend of mine has! GOOD LUCK & GOOD FISHING

Lund! They're great boats and you can get service just about anywhere. If you don't get a 16', you'll regret it. Both the lund rebel and explorer are pretty good all around boats for most lakes. Definitely check out Hannays. Their cutomer service is excellent, and the price is right too.

I learned of a new boat this year, fishhead can speak on behalf of these boats, and after I get to fish with him this summer I will be able to attest to his comments. Take a look at Monark boats, same great boat, without the extra advertising costs built into the sale.

Fishhead, do you have more to offer?

Unless you KNOW your nearby dealer is a crook (or close to it), deal with the guy you will go to for service. A one-time sale deal that "saves" you a couple hundred is one thing -- the ability to get prompt and good service is quite another.

There are high-volume dealers who never want to see you again after the sale is made. And there are those who'll say, "You didn't buy from me, why see me now?"

Crestliner would be my choice.
They have a huge advantage over Lunds in that they have a welded hull rather than a riveted one. ALL rivit boats will leak sooner or later, it's inevitable. Also, like trophyhunter said, there is a FULL 20 year warranty on the hull. Other boats speak of 20 or even 30 year coverage, but only full for the first 5 years then they take off a percentage each year for depriciation. Personally, I'd stick with a company that backs its' product FULLY for 20 years.
As for size, don't go any smaller than 16, in fact the few extra bucks you would spend for an 18'er would be well worth it, and when you are already talking about that much cash, what's a few extra thousand?
Anyone can own a Lund, only the smart ones go with Crestliner smile.gif

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

D-man

In talking about the Explorer 1675....

is that a big enough boat for say Mille Lacs or Sakakawea in ND??

is that price just for the boat? or motor too??

I have been browsing for boats on the internet and have not checked out pricing as of yet. I have been checking this boat out however on the Lund HSOforum.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

I am very happy with my Alumacraft and 2XB hull. Indestructible, IMHO, from what I have put her through. Lund is also an excellent choice.

I have learned some things about Crestliner. I have heard many complaints from Crestliner owners because of the "welds". The welds that hold the support beams to the hull have broke, and I have read complaints from several owners who have had to re-weld their entire boat after one season on the water!
I confronted a Crestliner dealer at a boat show about this and as how much he disagreed with it, he eventually admitted that there has been problems with the hull's welds. Some model boats more than others. And Crestliner did not warranty the broken welds under their 20 year hull warranty. There are some frustrated Crestliner owners out there.
I am not afraid of owning a riveted boat. From my direct observations of looking at the hulls on Crestliner's "weld" and other riveted boats, I feel very comfortable in a riveted boat. It was obvious there was more overall strength in the layout and design. On big water, the last thing I want to worry about is a weld breaking. I feel a big 'ole rivet is much stronger.

CDN/ To give you an idea, i run the 1650 on Mille Lacs. I have put it to test many times and its held up very well. Its a very dry ride and it trailers with ease. The new 1675 is even wider and has the IPS hull. I was a year too late for this model frown.gif You can get the boat,motor(90 Yamaha oil injected) and trailer(2400#) for $12,400 from Hannays in Mpls. The advantage a Lund hull has is the riveted hull will flex on impact. A welded hull will not flex, if it cracks it needs to be rewelded. The material will weaken as it is heated, thus leaving it open to crack again. If a rivet pop's its much easier to repair. And since Lund has a lifetime warranty on the seams, it wont cost you anything. I would also like to note that i personally have never heard of a welded hull cracking. The information i provided was taken from Bass and Walleye boats magazine. Not to take anything away from the welded boats as they are fine rigs as well. If you get the new Explorer you will be very happy.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

IN DEFENSE OF CRESTLINER..... smile.gif
I have run many different makes and models of Crestliners over the last 8 years and I have only seen ONE weld crack and that was on a rental boat that had been beat to death by renters over its' 6 years of continual use.
I fish A LOT of big water and pound some pretty big waves and have yet to see a weld crack.
This whole debate is good, but some people like Lunds, some like Alumacraft and some Like Crestliners. They love their boats and you'll never change their opinions much like the Ford vs. Chevy debate, or OMC vs. Merc vs. Yammy.
If you look at all boats you will find SOMETHING wrong with ALL of them no matter what. And you will ALWAYS find someone who has a problem with ANYTHING no matter how good a product is. We all have our own favorites and we all have products we do not care for. Just make sure YOU are comfortable with what you have.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
Bemidji-Ottertail

Ahh, a nice debate we got going here. There are always lemons in various products made by humans, no getting around that. Gull, you are right...everyone does have their opinions on their favorites. I look at this way...if you give me ANY boat for at least 2 years, and it survives my "needs" for big water without any structural issues...then it is a darn fine rig. If you find a boat that fits your needs then you will be one mighty happy fisherman/woman. Oh, and "only the smart ones go with Crestliner" (ouch) wink.gif

Here's a little tidbit I found written by a fellow Crestliner owner, and just couldn't help myself sharing....

15. "RE: answer to crestliner question"
In response to message #14

I had a 1992 Pro Am that had broken welds in the transom area.Mostly under the floor and the splashwell.As far as a twenty year warranty,its as worthless as the paper its printed on.It only covers the outside skin and not the internal braces and stringers.After a long battle with the dealer I ended up fixing it at my own expense. Funny thing is I traded the boat in on a new glass rig at a different dealer,and the first thing they did is crawl around the transom with flashlights and bounce the transom up and down.Must be somewhat of a common problem. I will never go to a welded hull again. Just my opinion.

Good one CD...thought I'd rub it in a bit smile.gif
That guy sounds like he had a dealer who diddnt give a darn. That crack I referd to in my previous post was fixed no questions asked and for no charge. This was on a rental boat which normally voids ANY type of warranty. If the dealer wanted to get that boat fixed for him, he could have gotten it done. Also, that was 10 years ago (92' model) and I know that the warranty structure has changed since then. I'm going to call my dealer and ask him about it just to clear things up.
PS...diddn't your boat almost fall apart on you out on Leech last fall? smile.gif...hehehehe...sorry, could'nt resist man

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
Bemidji-Ottertail

LOL!! Yes, I had issues during the Leech event, but it wasn't the HULL or the RIVETS! I just took on some big waves that day, like everyone else, and busted the console and when the console broke, my main supply wire cut = no power. I managed to take 1/2 hour and it was temporarily fixed. I have since beefed it up "my way" to take on larger water and waves.
I bet if I had a Crestliner I would have broke the welds and sunk in the first mile wink.gif~
I'm off my soap box now.

I have been sitting back and enjoying this depate. I just want to add one thing that a lot of people don't realize, but D-Man has brought up, sort of. The new Lund IPS Hull is amazing and if you haven't ridden in a boat with the new hull I suggest you try it before you go buy a different boat. There is no comparison between the old Lunds and the new ones. I have had each and that IPS Hull is amazing on any type of water.ScottS

I dont think you can go wrong with either of the big three we all have our opinions but they are all good.I would think about a good 16 footer you will like the extra room,also you will want to have a 4-stroke motor the 2-stroke will be cheaper but in the long run for resale and pleasure get the 4-stroke.
have fun and get out fishing lots
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

CD,
If I remember right, I was the only one to make the run from the south end of Bear Island back to Stoney Point with that strong NW wind.....I made it...IN A CRESTLINER!!!!.... smile.gif

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
Bemidji-Ottertail

Alright, you dragged me back on my box, Gull. Lets get the story straight. You drove straight to Boy Bay, stayed in a nice protected area ALL DAY and back at the end of the day. Yeah, that's quite a trip.

I, on the other hand, drove to Two Points, my wife immediately got sick...back to Stoney we go. Dropped her off, then to Goose Island....to Minnesota Island, back to Two Points, then to Submarine Island and eventually returned to Stoney. I burned 20 gallons of fuel running around in the big waves in the NW wind....in my RIVETED Alumacraft!
I should have pulled off the easy way out by finding a nice, quiet bay to catch some grass carp....the mistakes we make in determination to catch an eye. I learned after that day..... smile.gif