• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chetek Chain-Prairie Lake Fishing Reports

Well guys the lakes on the chain are starting to look very black a good sign that ice out shouldn't be to far away. Still concerned about the O2 news i got from the warden this winter and wondering how much if any winter kill the lake(Prairie) sustained.

This is a pic of the North end of Prairie as of this past Sunday. Also fished open water down by the county park on Ten Mile to see if the crappies were in yet but not even a bite little early yet I think...come on rain! Ice_04202008183532.jpg

this is a quote from the DNR fish biologist

"That being said their may have been some backwater areas were some

isolated fish kills have occurred but overall their does not appear

to be any large scale fish kill from this past winter"

Take Care

Heath"

what vman says is true. crappies are definitely turned on. Report of water temps in various places near the 60 deg mark. Wood and shallows seem to be the ticket right now. They are attacking floats as well as the jigs. Time to try some poppers. tight lnes to all

crappie fishing seems to be holding pretty good with lots of different age class's to be had. Walleyes are done spawning and moving back out into the chain from the creeks and streams.Bass fishing remains good as well as norther.

We're heading out this weekend, any reports or tips on where we can find some fish?!? Couples weekend, so we're hoping to get enough bites to keep the ladies halfway interested, at least enough so we can do this again:-) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

well if you were asking me and you were fishing the chain I guess I would have you go up on Pokegema. Try the shoreline west of the island there are cribs there. Chain has not been the greatest the past few years ok but not like it use to be. Check out the thred for the Barron-chetek area for other idea's. Barron/chetek thread

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking we may be stuck on Prairie, that's where the cabin is...We may venture out, but for ease we'll probably stay close to the cabin.

well here are some suggestions for panfish. Get a map of the lake ( prairie) so you can see what I am talking about. Work around the north side of burnhams island, also straight east of burnhams and a little to the north but not much and you will find some humps there. Also the point north of the island on the west shore from time to time produces good.

We ended up with a bunch of sunnies, most of them pretty small, and a few smaller crappies. The bite wasn't that hot, but man, what a beautiful weekend to be out on the ice...Thanks for the tip vman, I think we'll be able to talk the ladies into doing the trip again next year:-)

I wrote to the Barron county fish biologist heath Benike about the problems with the largemouth bass population on the Chetek Chain. He state to me that the DNR has a census scheduled for 2012. He also stated that he encouraged people to keep legal bass. I have talked to a number of property owners and others who fish the lake and all have said the balance is way out of wack with so many large mouth bass. Its good that they are going to do the census but it needs to be done sooner as 2012 is 3 years off and after they do the census they have to look over the info which will be another 2-3 years before anything is done. Please write to Mr.Benike and your our local rep Mary Hubler and have that pushed up.

The problem is more widespread than just the Chetek Chain. Really it's just the way minimum lengths are set up. The minimum length on bass would be equivalent to a 20" minimum length on walleye and a 32" minimum on pike. Being protected that much longer it's no wonder they outspawn the other predator species. Not to mention those other species are also harvested much more often when legal to boot. I have wrote Mr. Benike but for other lakes.