• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine Radio Info.

Its important to look for a model that is WATER-proof not WEATHER-proof. I use the Raytheon 53. Its 100% waterproof. As far as the two way radios. If the two-ways run on the same frequency as any of the channels as the Marine Band does, then they will work together. Any radio shack will have a frequency list. Walkie talkies work on air waves like a CB radio. They will not work with a Marine Band.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Having fished Lake Michigan for over 35 years, I consider a radio as important as any item of equipment you can have. I'm not on Michigan so often anymore, but I still use a Ratheon. And, it is waterproof.

If you have room, be sure to purchase a good quality 8' glass antenna. I don't have the room, so I'm currently using a 3' stainless steel whip -- good for three or four miles, but not good enough if you are venturing far out. No radio is really good without a top notch antenna.

I am considering installing a marine band radio in my boat. Can anyone give recs on different models. Also, are they compatible with the Motorola talkabouts or other walkie-talkie's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clayton hit the nail on the head. No matter what radio you end up buying, it will only be as good as the antannae. Get the best one that you can afford (preferably 8 footer).