• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye vs. Bass

Pherris

I think you are all missing the most important thing here. It is spending quality time with your new in-laws. rolleyes.gif What could be more fun than a nice LONG, beautiful, warm day on the lake with your in-laws? You know - her telling you what you did wrong and him telling you how to do it right! rolleyes.gif Oops did I say that. Oh well, look at it this way, if it gets too bad you can either swim for shore or throw them in - depending on who has the boat keys! grin.gif Be strong I know how you feel.

------------------
Phyl

Sorry bass guys, but I get no joy out of catching a bass, right or wrong I percieve them as an unintellegent overly aggressive fish. Nothing brings a smile to my face like running a lindy or floater on on a dead calm day with the trolling motor on the slowest setting, just crawling over a small piece of structure feeling that that tap, dropping line for a few seconds then locking down and waiting to pull the trigger. The anticipation watching the line slowly tighten is priceless!

You can do the same when bass are in neutral or negative moods -- with plastic worms you also fish slowly and watch the line. If you do not watch the line you'll miss most pick-ups. Bass are not always overly aggressive intent on suicide, just as walleyes are not always cautious, tentative, light biting. I took a 7 lb walleye last summer while casting spinner baits for bass. While muskie fishing it is also not uncommon to take large walleyes on both hair and wood.

I hope I never become a single species angler.

I love chasing walleyes. Walleye flesh must have some sort of drug in it to make us chase them the way we do.

Walleye fishing is a great time and a true challange many days. It's not so easy to catch walleyes when you want walleyes.

Bass fishing is also a great time. I can't tell you how much fun I had this past summer on those 95 degree days, waiting for the sun to set so I could pitch my popper up in the brush for a bucketmouth. Unbelievable action.

Each species has a time and place. I just don't have alot of time for bass. Too busy chasing waldos.

I'm with Hammer on this one- both are great. I get a rush fishing for both and I don't see why anyone needs to say which is better. Who cares? They're both pretty great fish- very different, but equally great.
Personally I prefer to fish for the one that I think I can catch the most of that given day. If it's dead calm I'll go for bass 3/4 of the time. If there's a good chop I'll look for walleyes most of the time.
Scoot

Long-live multi-species angling! Lindy rigging walleyes, buzz baits for bass, dry fly trout, jerk baitin' muskies, top water pike, icing panfish! Whatever, each to their own! Different challenges for different times of the year, it's all good!

Though I'm not a politician I'll play the part here. I've had very memorable times with 'eyes, SM & LM at one time or another, not to mention crappies, pike, stream trout, lake trout, grayling and king salmon. I've fished for 44 years and never hooked a musky though. That drought is going to come to an end soon.