• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Canada Fly In

Just looking for any suggestions on "Can't Miss" walleye or northern lures for my first trip to Canada. Will be fishing Casummit lake in Northwestern Ontario. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where you are going the northerns still like some old reliables -- red & white Daredevles, Johnson weedless minnow (in silver, and in gold), and a No. 5 Mepps spinner (with or without bucktail). Have fun.

What time of year are you heading up? SOmetimes early season can be very good throwing top-water near the mouths of rivers and sometimes in the shallow bays.
The fire-tiger Jack-pot can be a real fun jack attracter. When they come up to smash it on the surface, you'll think your seeing the start of World War 3!!!!!

Keep it simple for walleyes. Generally 1/4 oz/- 3/8 oz jigs (chart) tipped with a salted minnow will suffice.

Salting some minnows before heading up Nort can save extra packing and money. Give it a try.

PS. Once you have fished in Canada, you'll be forever spoiled!!!

Jim W

All,
Thank you for the information. Wife gave birth to our daughter which is why it has taken so long to respond. She will be the best fisherperson in the family. Clayton, I will take all the lures you mentioned. Jim, I will be going up June 12th - 16th and will take some salted minnows as well. Was watching fishing show this weekend were guys were catching lots of musky (LOW) on the Jack-pot. Thanks...

Clayton,
Her name is Imon Davy-Zinnea Robinson. She weighed 8lbs.3oz, and was 21inches long. Both her and mom are doing fine. Thank you.
I'm thinking about taking your advice on the Mississippi river, any suggestions on where I should put in and fish? Thanks.

Doug

Sounds like a terrific keeper. Best wishes to you and your family.

As for the Mississippi, there are guys here who can help you much more than I can -- it is years since I fished the river. However, it was once great smallmouth fishing right under the Camden bridge in North Mpls. There's a launch ramp there, too. Good luck.