• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Boat

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and this is my first time posting in a forum. I realize this is not the correct forum for this but I have also posted in the Open Water Forum. I am wondering where a person would get a better deal on a new boat. At the Boat Show this week in the Minneapolis Convention Center or at the Nortwest Sportshow in late March. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JUST DONT BUY FROM CRYSTAL/PIERZ MARINE, THEY HAVE BEEN NOTHING BUT A HEADACHE. THEY DONT LIKE TO TAKE CARE OF THERE CUSTOMERS AND ACT LIKE YOUR WAISTING THERE TIME.
GOOD LUCK
DUCK

A good deal has nothing to do with price...you are investing in peace of mind...many years of hassle free service (SERVICE being the key word).

Buy from a LOCAL, reputable dealer.

Hint, hint -- the customers who grind on the price very seldom get the best service.

Enjoy your new boat!

FLB

Blue Pike,
Welcome to the Forum!

Just a few years ago I purchased my boat from the Mpls Boat Show. They all offer "packages" and "show" pricing and I found out it was the best price available all year. I knew exactly what I wanted, so I shopped each dealer at the show. Like Dave mentioned: make them work for the sale. However, be direct with each salesperson, tell them that you plan to visit other booths so they are forced to put together the best deal possible.

Initially, I worked on a price that was comfortable for my budget. Then found who was willing to throw in the extras: boat cover, tie downs, spare tire with mounting bracket, free electronic installation, all are examples of what I received after the original price quote! It took me two trips to the Boat Show and several hours with each dealer before I got a deal I could not pass up.

The salespeople seemed to respond fairly well to this approach. Maybe because they knew I was serious about making a purchase or because I was having fun with the whole process. For many people this would seem a bit excessive or stressful, but boat & motors are not cheap so you might as well get as much as you can!

Remember, you are the customer: make them kiss your butt! Have fun haggling the price and don't be afraid to walk away.

I ended up buying from Nelson Marine. I had a great experience and would buy from them again. I have needed to return for service twice (my fault, not theirs) and was treated very well.

Good Luck!
<;))))><

Should buy a boat in late fall to get the best deal. Boats don't move when everyone's excited for first ice, so they'll deal alot more flexably on a new boat when everyone else is looking at augers.
PCG

One piece of advise I can give you is to check what trailer it has under it before you buy.I found a 1600 fishhawk at a boat show that I fell in love with so the next week I went to the dealer to buy it.I asked them if i could get the boat show price they said yes.It had a real nice shorelander trailer under it.When I went to pick it up the next weekend it had a yacht club.I asked them what happened to the original trailer he said it was not part of the deal,said they just used that one to pull it to the show.I guess I didn't ask enough questions.

------------------
RipJigger

Thanks everyone for the advice. Went to the boat show today. Mainly just did some fact finding this time. Probably wait for the Northwest Sportshow to do the buying. They have a lot more fishing rigs at the sportshow. Crestliner Fish Hawk 1850, 115 Yamaha four stroke, nice rig!

Hey guys I'm in the process of buying a Lund thru rapid sport marine, does anybody have any good or bad things to say about this dealer before I sign the papers. I was at the boat show Thursday,Friday and Sunday rapid marine was very competitive price wise and threw in some nice goodies.

I don't know what you guys did, but I've had GREAT service at Crystal Marine. Talk to Patty, and she WILL take care of you. Steve in service is also great. I have had nothing but top notch service from them.

If you expect 1 day service during peak times, you won't get that from anyone, but I've NEVER waited more than 3 days for service work, even during busy times.

Glenn

Duckbuster
from what I've heard from a few buddies, Rapid can be good and really, really bad. They tend to be OK at the sales end, but their service dept. can run the gammit (I think they tend to remember who took them and for how much). I won't say don't buy from them, but I'm in the market, and unless they gimme one heck of a deal, I'm not buyin from them.

I'm a salesman. I went to Crystal PM and was completely turned off. The sales rep didn't even introduce himself. It was as if I was bugging him with my questions. Some older guy with gray hair and glasses. I have 12K to spend on a tiller this year and it won't be with them.

I just drove by the old Olympic aka Simmsons boat dealership on Pelican Lake and it says "future home of CPM" should be interesting. I can't imagine they could be any worse than the J&K there. We were there 3 times and the guy is smoking the whole time we are there and all he can talk about is how drunk he was the night before and all the boats he sold at the Roadhouse. Yucky!

------------------
Phyl

Since I started this string back in January before the boat show I thought I would let anyone that is interested know how things turned out. Went to the Sportshow last Wednesday with three boats on my mind, the Lund 1800 Pro V SE, the Crestliner 1850 Fish Hawk and the Alumacraft TP 185 CS. After 6 hours I ruled out the Crestliner, wasn't happy with the way things fit together. Went back to the show Friday. Decided to much storage space got lost when Lund went to the center rod storage in the bow. Alumacraft has added the rod tubes in the side storage on the 2002 TP 185 model. I left after ordering an Alumacraft TP 185, dual counsels and a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke.

Thanks all of you for your replies.

Give Don's Sportland in Breckenridge, MN a call and ask for Frank, the owner.

They are more then 2 hours from the cities, but they make GREAT deals.

The link in on the boat dealers page here on FM.com.

If you decide to give them a call., tell Frank I recommended them.

www.donssportland.com

Email: [email protected]

HWY 75 North Breckenridge, MN.56520

218-643-6382
800-776-5863

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html