• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Boat

I just bought my first boat (17' Lund proangler w/ 50 horse Yamaha tiller) and I'm not sure how to take care of it. Does anyone have any suggestions on reading material that could help me out.

Don't let it sit all year not being used. Gas sitting causes varnish. My boat is only with out a cover when its on the way to the lake, but if you can keep it in a garage, even better.

Thanks for the offer but i think i will keep it in my garage.

The place i bought the boat from drained out all the gas and changed the lower unit grease before i took it home. Can i just add gas and go in the spring or do i need to do anything to get it ready to run?

There is not much info regarding the boat, most of its common sense. I would contact a Yamaha dealer for the manual on your particular motor. They should be able to send you some type of maintenance schedule.

I would charge the batteries a few times throughout the winter, also check the water in them. Only add distilled if low!

Spring time: fill it up with gas and let her rip! Don't forget a spare set of plugs if it's a two-stroke. Some people who winterize outboards add so much fogging oil that it will foul plugs the first time you try and start it. If you have a four stroke motor don't worry, it'll clean itself out on the exhaust stroke.

Next fall post a topic on winterizing the boat/motor yourself. It is real easy and you save yourself $$.

<;))))><

hey if we talk nice maybe Rick will post the article that he showed us last fall on winterinzing a boat. good info. but as the guys say most is common sense. keep the batteries maintained,boat clean. most of us agreed it is better to have gas with stabilizer in it than running it dry. late enough in the season i wouldn't worry much about that now. keeping it covered does help! my 88 ranger looks great! del