• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good lake for Walleye Opener

Seabass77

We go up to vermilion every year in mid july it is always a great time. We stay at vermilion dam lodge and catch 18-24 inchers on avg. I will be spending opener on Mille Lacs, we always do well up there. Why don't people like Lakeside? Harry is the nicest guy.

Xplorer and others: I'm thinking about fishing the St. Louis River on opener this year but wonder if it might be too crowded. Is it boat to boat or manageable? I've only fished near Boy Scout landing, Oliver bridge and Spirit lake. What do you think?

Mnfisher,
The St Louis is always very busy on opening weekend thru memorial day. On a normal year the majority of fishing is done upstream from Boy Scout landing, nearer the Hwy 23 bridge (its closed above it for the first 9 days). If we have a early spring the eyes can be more spread out. Alot of people anchor just below the bridge and jig downstream for eye's, others will troll upstream with either plugs or spinner/crawlers. Trying to troll can be a chore as you can imagine with that many people in a relativly small area, and there can be some pretty heavy current. Fishing can be good and there are always some nice fish caught. The landing at Boy Scout is a zoo, if I fish it I try to get there at 5am at the latest. My fatherin law really likes to fish the river around opener (ive put him on some good days!!) but if he doesnt come up I think I'll wait til monday to hit it.
Xplorer

I suggest everyone should either go to Mille Lacs, Leech, Rainy or Big Sandy or somewher.... Just dont bother with Vermilion... she can be a mean ole witch if ya dont know her. Yeah those other guys were right real small walleyes... no size to them at all, just like their northerns and their ski's. Me and the Guideman will take care of all those little fish in Vermilion you guys go on ahead to those better lakes.

Xplorer: Thanks for the info on the St. Louis River. I've not fished it much and never above the Boy Scout landing so will definitely give that a try. I figured the opener would be crowded, but still may try it. I will get out early! I've good luck with spinner rigs on the river.

Thanks again!
Jim

For fishing the St. Louis river during opening, I might suggest putting your boat in at one of the ramps closer to the harbor (under the high bridge, park point, or even somewhere in the city of Superior). These ramps are about a 15-20 minute boat ride up to where you want to fish, but I think it's worth it to avoid the headaches involved with Boy Scout landing. I HATE Boy Scout and I go out of my way to avoid going there. The other ramps are better, anyway, and they have more parking available.