• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda 15HP OB

I have a 95 Honda 15. Absolutely love it and one of the best motors I have ever used. I use it as a kicker in the summer and my duck boat motor in the fall. Starts and runs in any weather, even below zero just fine (average 3 pulls). Takes a real beating too smile.gif
I've heard a lot of problems with other 4-stroke motors in cold weather, but this Honda starts better than any motor I have seen. There is no such thing as "cold blooded" with this engine. Hope this helps.

CD! How big is your duck boat and about how fast does the 15 take you? I really liked the gear shift lever on the one I looked at, I was looking at the electric start. Also I've heard of the tiller handles breaking?

I have a 14' shallow duck boat and it really hauls, maybe 15+ mph. It jumps on plane in a second and it does not porpoise the boat, believe it or not. I also use it in the rivers in the summer too and I have hit a lot of logs, rocks, etc. and the Honda just keeps going....

It is a heavy motor so I have to use a transom saver bracket when the boat is on the trailer. The transom on my boat is weak.

The gear shift is great. I have never heard of problems with the tiller handle, and really I don't see how they would break. The tiller is well constructed! I really beat the living heck out of this motor. You won't be disappointed if you buy it. Also, electric start is not really necessary (unless it is a remote and kicker motor only) because mine always starts in 1-3 pulls.

CD, I think we have the same boat. 14' jon w/ weak transom. That's what I have, ha ha.
I have been thinking of upgrading from my appleby 14 x 36 to a 14' x 50" because I thought the boat would be to heavy with a new 4 stroke. Right now I have a 3.6hp elgin and its painfully slow. But I do like small boats. I have already replaced almost all the rivets in the boat w/ 1/4" trusshead screws and nylock nuts and sealed them with rtv. The ones I did 4 years ago are still holding good but this fall I noticed that the rivets on the back of my back seat had broken loose, good thing I covered all the rivets that were left with epoxy so there was not even a leak.