• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEST FISH OF 2001

DARK30

Believe it or not the best trip of 2001 was on the Mississippi river. Me and and a budy of mine were looking for some Smallies when we stumbled upon some sumo fish. There is nothing quite like watching all the line zing off of your spinning reel with nothing you can do about it but curse the dam fish thats doing it. With spining reels empty we switched over to the big rods. For the next few hours we sat and caught 10 to 25 pound Carp one after the other. So, best fish of 2001, saddly it goes to a 31.5 inch pig.

Well in 2001 I had the oppertunity to fish many different places thanks to an internship in Bismarck ND. Since I was in ND I had to try Devils Lake, word of advise, don't go when it's 20 below. I also fished Lake Sakakawea, and Missourri River near Bismarck. Some of the best fishing was a small powerplant lake near bismarck, 5 lb bass. Another good memory from ND was the four muskies I caught, first ever 2-28", 31", and 34" in two consecutive trips to New John's Lake. Didn't get too much fishing in once I was back in School in SD. A family trip to rainy river, and LOW was interesting. Of course fished some small lakes back home in MN too.

I was fishing Lake of the Woods near Lobstick Bay. We fished out of Laughing Waters. First week of August. We were catching some pretty decent walleyes (3 pounders). We decided to try for some smallmouths so we headed to an area that was loaded with underwater humps. We drifted across that area for about three hours and caught close to 50 smallies. The average size was 2-3 pounds. I tagged a brute that was 6lbs 7oz! I thought it was a carp until it got closer to the boat. She's getting mounted right now. We also caught a 5lb 5oz, 5lb 3oz, and a 4lb 12oz. One of the fuys I fished with caught a 49-inch northern as well.
Good Fishing, Matt.

Not a real good year big fish wise but had decent numbers going. biggest eye on big pine for me personally was 26 inches, released it.
got one 27 incher on a different lake, released that one too. Other noteables, first muskie, 39 incher caught on 6 lb test jigging for eyes on big detroit, released. No big northerns tho, weird, usually tangle with a few of them each summer it seems.

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

This is my favorite story to tell, and best part about it is that its true. But it doesn't involve getting it in the boat.

A few years ago my parents bought some property on a chain of lakes in n MN. I go and spend a a weekend or too up there every once in awhile. The lake is known for the low number of BIG walleyes. Any way, I went out fishing one evening by myself pulling a lindy rig around til dark. I hook into a fish that seems to be a snag. This baby wasn't moving easily. I towed in what felt to be a log. But as soon as I got the fish probably ten feet from the boat, he starts fighten like no tommorow. Line snapped, and I cried. My fault, bad drag. That was a fish. The next weekend I take the same approach and it happens again! Everybody thinks I 'm full of ****. So i take my old man out, and for the third time he witnessed it again. The third time it had to be teeth cutting the line.
When we got to know the locals better, We found out that there is supposedly a monster named Smily in the lake and I was a victim of him. I know its a bad ending. But the day i do catch it, I'll have something to talk about. I'm just wondering if hes going on the wall, or if I should let the legend live.