• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEST FISH OF 2001

DARK30

TAKE A MINUTE TO TELL YOUR BIG FISH STORY OF THE 2001 OPEN WATER SEASON. I KNOW SOME PEOPLE ARN'T DONE FISHING THE WET WATER YET AND THERES STILL TIME TOO!
I'D HAVE TO SAY MY 48lb FLATHEAD WAS MY FAVORITE FISH THIS YEAR. I ALSO REMEMBER A FEW SCRAPPY SMALLMOUTH AND BROWN TROUT.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

MAY YOU ALL FIND FISH! THE QUEST NEVER ENDS!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

highlights of this year for me were.....

44.5" fat pike. C&R on L.O.W in early june on blk/gld #7 shad rap trolling with boards. Got another master angler patch for her!

23# king salmon on lake michigan in july, kept and smoked, man do these things fight!

36" & 37" channel cats, red river near drayton end of september, cut goldeye, released of course. Nothing to brag on here as these are fairly common, but I got them both in 1 short evening trip.

Somewhat disappointed as my biggest walleye was only a 29 incher this year, out of the rainy at the end of november, but my partner got a 32 incher out of the red on a 1/2 pound piece of cutbait. I've been telling him that I've seen some big eyes caught while catfishing, now he believes!!!!!!

My favorite memories from this past year would be...

My first tiger muskie, 37 inches on a #11 rapala on december 15th.

Taking my Dad trout fishing and helping him get his first "trophy" browner. This was especially sweet considering all the times he took me when I was younger. And the love for the outdoors he instilled in me.

Fishing and exploring around the "next bend" with Jim W. and others, and next bend and the following bend, just around the corner, and a couple hundered yards past.... Hey where the heck am I? Its getting pretty dark out!

And getting to meet and fish with some really great guys from this site.

So many memories, but right now those are the best!!

buddy and I sat on a rock pile that is usually quiet second weekend, we pulled a good 2-3 dozen walleye out... we boated a dozen between 20" and 24"s. Best photo I've ever been in

Mine would be Halloween night on Mille Lacs. Pulling cranks gave me 19 fish between 24" and 28 1/2". It was a nice 40 + degree night with the moon peaking in and out of the clouds and a 1' to 2' chop on the water. Perfect conditions and great results.

I would have to say the Fourth of July, taking my nephew trout fishing. He caught his first trout, a 16 inch brown. Then to add to the memory, I demonstrated to him how to remove a totally impaled treble hook out of my thumb!

I would have to agree with Sarge. I have met and fished with more new people than I ever imagined. I personally get a real charge out of it! This life is way to short..... I hope there is fishing in heaven!!?

Happy Holidays everyone! Please take care and be safe, spending valuable time with family!!!

Jim W

My favorite fish was a 44 inch muskie caugt off my dock! It was kind of a funy story, the neigbor lady was throwing a ball off the dock for her dog, wen this muskie came up and hit the ball! Needless to say she was screaming! So her husband and I came to the rescue with fishing poles in hand, and I first had her strike right at the dock, darn near landing on the dock! A few casts later she struck again, this time the hooks bit back! A few pictures and she was released! What was fun was we got to share the excitement of muskie fishing with our wives and kids!

Cory Frantzick
RE/MAX Associates Plus
Timberlane Homes
(612)801-0809
1-800-568-5818 ext 202

------------------
Visit us on the web at www.Athomeonthelake.com

Bigest this year 37 inch Pike, and 29 inch walleye.

I had the biggest fish I had ever seen follow on a bucktail at Lake of the woods this summer. I figure 8 ed it and it struck at the lure but missed tongue.gif It was at least 55 inches it looked more like a submarine than a fish LOL! I hope I get another shot at that fish someday smile.gif

Best fishes,

Cyb

I would have to say my best time this last year was the 4th of July week on the 5th & 6th Crow Wing Lakes. Son and I limited out on 1lb.+ crappies, on ultralite outfits (3# test line and purple/glitter tube jigs), in about an hour. It's one fishing trip we'll both never forget!

"My" best fish was the 13-inch bass my 7-yr-old grandson caught (his first bass). He had been introduced to sunnies and perch off the dock, plus the occasional bullhead, but this was a bass, and to him it was the greatest fish in the world.

HEY FISHHEAD!....NO BIG FISH STORIES?

HOW ABOUT THAT BIG WALLEYE YOU STOLE RIGHT OUT FROM UNDER MY NOSE! OR ALL THOSE BIG CATS YOU NETTED FOR ME? tongue.gif
I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO (SHARING FISH) WITH YOU IN 2003!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!
WET NETS!

------------------

Rumplestiltskin? smile.gif
I didn't think that the fish I caught were big enough to brag about.It really wasn't a big fish year for me this year.
Heres my best list for the year.
Walleye-8.4
flathead-35
channel-16
Funny it seems all these fish came from one little 100yrd stretch of water.I wonder where that may be?
The rest are just a little better than average so I'll just humbly omit them.

Fishhead --
I know lots of Minnesota anglers, rather good fishermen, who have never taken an 8 lb walleye. I hear about huge fish, but I don't often see the evidence (e.g. photos).

My personal best walleye is 8.5, taken in the 70s in Minnetonka. I have not beaten that one after dozens of outings at Lake Erie, LOTW, Mille Lacs, Sakakawea, and Oahe. Last summer my best walleye was 7.5, and I am proud of that one.

I'm only 17, so i'm sure i'll have many great fishing memories to come. Anyways, some memorable trips this year were to a lake in NW MN in which we caught several nice walleyes, one being 6 1/2 lbs. Also went to the BWCA and found the best smallie hole in the entire world. Also have done well with the walleyes early this winter through the ice, here in central MN. Happy New Year!!

OK, I TURN 40 AND FORGET WHAT YEAR IT IS...NO BIG DEAL. YOU SHOULD SEE ME WITH NAMES! grin.gif

HEY FISH, I'LL BE GLAD TO FISH WITH YA THIS YEAR TOO! wink.gif
(MANY) WET NETS!

------------------

This may have not been my personal best fishing years(size wise) but it sure was one of the funnest! I can't wait for the ice to thaw and the temps to climb so i can get back out, (i know winter just started and i haven't even got my knew 8x16 house out yet, but you just can't cast for the greatest freshwater fish with solid water!). I took friends and my dad out multiple times each week and had a blast, i loved sending $40 on gas too! We did catch a lot of great fish though, here's my tops-

-Ordering Dominoes to the landing so you can eat dinner out on the boat on a calm, warm MN evening with your friends- $18

-Catching a Musky 3 trips in a row and losing 2 of your best lures- $22

-At least one person in the boat landing a 33"+ northern or musky 10 times- $200 (gas+food, etc.)

-Catching at least one 20" walleye in 8ft of water in the middle of summer on musky lures while everyone else is out deep about 15 times (5 over 20" in one day on Mille Lacs)- WEIRD

-Seeing GIANT Muskies follow your lure up to the boat and experiencing the excitement with your friends and family, and looking back on those awsome times on the water, even if you didn't catch a thing, in your memories and on film- PRICELESS

Here here to 2002 and let this season be as fun as the last!

Goodluck to all, ice fishing, and remember, start warming up casting for next season because it will be here fast. Hopefully.

I would have to say Mille Lacs is my favorite place. Started hitting it for muskies about 4 years ago, and have seen many awsome fish. Plus I'm always trying new spots on the lake, and while fishing muskies, we've caught nice walleye's, fat northerns, and even some really nice smallies. I also like other lakes like: Leech, Winnie, Forest lake, Cass, and Dear and Bone in Wis. Personally I like the MN lakes the best, and I'm always willing to try a new lake. Next year I'm lookin to try some smaller less known lakes more often. Until then I just have to keep sharpening those hooks and dreaming.

Best fish for me would have to be a 10.3lbs walleye caught in the channel between Whitefish and Bertha. Caught it at night and had a spotlight with and my dad shined it in the water when i finally horsed the pig near the boat and i almost crapped in my pants.
bf

My best fishing in 2001 was on alpine lake in the BWCAW. We anchored my canoe on a wind swept shore on a rocky break between this 4-foot deep shelf where it quickly dropped to 25 feet. I dropped my lindy down and wham 25” walleye, dropped it again, 17” smallmouth. But the wind picked up even more and blew us off the spot.

But, that spot was right next to shore and there was a large rock outcropping right in the middle of these fish. Me and three buddies put on slip bobbers, stood on this rock, and proceeded to have the best fishing of my life. The smallest fish was 16”, the average being between 20 and 25. Oh, and about a half dozen smallmouth over 18”. We caught so many fish that we were all giddy and goofy, like little kids. One of my best fishing days ever.

Didn't catch the biggest fish in the world in 2001, but had several wonderful trips and memories to go with them...

#1. Fishing with my Mom and Dad and one of my brothers on Lake Kabetogema in June. The wind picked up and the walleyes were biting after a couple frustrating days of dead calm. We battled 4 foot rollers and in a 2 hour span boated over 40 walleyes between 16" and 25". Not bad considering at least half of the time was spent trying to control the boat!

#2. Fly-in trip out of Red Lake, Ontario. 19.5 pound northern was the biggest fish, but walleyes were plentiful. Absolutely beautiful and peaceful (multiple lakes to ourselves, no outside contact). Northern lights were out one night and were spectacular!

Strangely enough, the fly-in was also one of my worst memories of 2001 as we were in "the bush" over the 9-11-2001 tragedy. Made me go home and hug my kids and wife a little more and longer than normal...

Looking forward to a great 2002, already have 1 trip under my belt and a couple more planned. Yee Haw!

Scott

------------------
That's why they call it "fishing" not "catching"