• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon through the ice? PICS ARE UP!

SKIHUNTER

i agree... should not have been gaffed.. the gaf is for fish you KNOW your going to keep. aren't you supposed to immediately release a sturgeon if you catch it out of season? so taking a pic is actually against the law? i'm not bad talking you for taking a pic, i just dont know if i would have posted it on the internet, especially with the gaf...

one thing i do notice about the pictures is the gaf was used in the first pic to get the fish out of the hole. second pic shows the fish with no gaf in it, then third pic shows the gaf in the fish AGAIN. so this means you used the gaf to get it out of the hole and then gaffed it AGAIN to just pick it up for a picture. the second time gaffing the fish is completely unnecessary. i'm sure there were a pair of choppers/gloves or something laying around that you could have used to hold the fish for the pic if you didnt want to touch it

Thanks for sharing the pics Skihunter.... it's a shame these threads always turn into, "You shouldn't do this.... You shouldn't do that..." Its a wonder why most folks never want to share pics...... people always have some criticism..

I understand sometimes folks are just trying to help others, but it seems never ending.... just let folks share their stories and catches without crucifying them.

One more thing.... I'm not sure catching a fish does the fish any good either, so I guess we better only fish for fish we plan on keeping... I mean a fish isn't naturally meant to be hooked, is it??

Good post coach. While you probably shouldn't have gaffed it, it's ok, the fish'll probably be just fine, as long as you stay away from the face/gills/body. Shoot, the hooks we use to fish for 'em are about the same size as that gaff! smile Just for next time, it's usually easier on the fish to pull it outta the hole by hand. With that in mind, it's hard enough getting a 58" sturgeon in the boat in the summer, let alone pulling one through a hole in the ice with 10lb test!!! I probably would have done the same thing if I were in your shoes.

I love Sturgeon!

That's a great catch. Especially through the ice. For sure one to be telling stories about over and over for a long time.

While the gaff isn't preferred for a catch and release, I can see why that would be the tool of choice when you see that beast come up near the hole. It couldn't have been easy. laugh Plus like fishuhalik pointed out, judging by the placement I doubt it did any harm.

Hope to someday get to battle a beast like that through the ice!

Next time, just pose like PiedmontAngler and nobody will give you a hard time wink

Congrats!

Well, now that it's been repeated five times, he's well aware of it and probably won't do it again. Some of us don't really know things like that, so be too hard on him. You can tell people tips without making them feel like horse....you know.

Thanks for sharing the pics Skihunter.... it's a shame these threads always turn into, "You shouldn't do this.... You shouldn't do that..." Its a wonder why most folks never want to share pics...... people always have some criticism..

I understand sometimes folks are just trying to help others, but it seems never ending.... just let folks share their stories and catches without crucifying them.

One more thing.... I'm not sure catching a fish does the fish any good either, so I guess we better only fish for fish we plan on keeping... I mean a fish isn't naturally meant to be hooked, is it??

CroixFlats is right. I did no name calling or bashing. I fish for sturgeon and want to make it clear that this is not good for them. I went through many common mistakes guides make when on TV shows. I am sure if I held a muskie with a gaff I would be corrected and I would expect it. The gaff for getting it up the hole I do not like to see. Holding it with the gaff ruffles my feathers. When I catch a fish and it bites me I deserve it! I took it out of it's home and when I put it back I set it in the water.

It is gaffed in the shnozz and if you have ever studied their bodies they use that whole area ahead of their mouth to sense food so that would make it a sensitive area.

I am passionate about all of our fish. If any of you have met me I am very happy to help others out getting their fish and finding them. A couple of weeks ago I stuck my entire arm in the hole to recover a guys PB eelpout. I am a true multi species angler that wants my son to catch the same great fish I am able to.

And to be clear this is not about the original post at this point more about the clear need for education on fish handling!

Like I said, I understand in your heart of hearts you are just trying to help/educate/whatever, but at no point do you say, "Nice catch" "Thanks for sharing" "Wow what a nice fish" etc... The gentleman was nice enough to post his catch, with story and photos for all to enjoy. Then he has to take some abuse because he didn't handle the fish exactly as you think he should have... I'm not trying to start something and I apologize if I have taken this thread off track, but as much as your belief that we need some education on "fish handling" bothers you... the constant criticism of folks who post things on the site is equally frustrating to me and I'm sure many others.