• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon through the ice? PICS ARE UP!

SKIHUNTER

Caught a sturgeon through the ice Monday morning. 35 minute fight. 58"x27" on 10# power pro line with ultralite rod. Crazy fun, but I never realized these things would bite in the winter. Largest fresh water fish to date for me. Anyone else ever get one like this through the ice. Barely fit through the hole.

2010-01-18064817.jpg

2010-01-18065348.jpg

2010-01-18065124-1.jpg

i personally think the pics look fake! haha kiddin, congrats!! boy would that be fun to catch, does anyone know how old a fish like that would be? i heard they can outlive humans. once again congrats, hope i catch a sturgeon in that neighborhood some day in my life.

SKIHUNTER just atta curiosity were you using a flasher and jigging him or did he hit a dead stick. What kind of bait did he hit. I go to LOW a couple times a year and have never, but always wanted to catch one of those. The pics are awesome, can you update with the story.

I have to agree with Aaron on this one. Gaffing a large fish that has to be released is not necessary. Holding it up by the gaff is also not healthy for the fish. Fish that size need to have their body supported to avoid damage to internal organs.

Well said Aaron, I agree. Larger game fish simply aren't built for supporting that much weight on one part of the body (gills, gaff hook in the shnozz etc.) They are incredible animals and should be handled accordingly.

No doubt this is a fantastic catch and I appreciate you sharing. But the gaff in the shnozz of such a dinosaur out of season is going to ruffle the feathers of a few here.

If you get a chance to fish for them in season, don't be afraid to handle these beasts. They are quite docile and I promise they won't bite. wink