• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

deptfinder\locator

with xmax just around the corner,what type of
locator should i ask santa for??picked up a 16ft lund pike last summer and promised the wife that she could get me a locator for xmas,says i always buy anything i want anyway
what do you all suggest???

Prophet/ well it depends on the budget and how much you fish to justify the budget. Look for a "waste of money" locator to start around $100.00 dollars. People all have opinons on brands. But a general guide line in looking for a locator is pixel count,watts(power), and features. Look for a unit in the $100-$200 range to have 100-150 pixels and around 400 watts. $300-$400 to hold 240 pixels and 1000+ watts. After that the price goes up with features such as mapping and GPS. The more pixels and watts a unit has the better it will display an "arch" which represents fish. I have great success with the Lowrance x-85. The Garmin 240 looks like a good deal as well. Good Luck..

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

As far as the speed and temp sensors go.I like knowing what the surface temp is.The speed sensor wheels on both of my boats wwas worn and not accurate after a year.(If they ever were)I have a trooling speedo in the dash of one of my boats and the depth finders speed always varied compared to the dash mount.

Yes, guideman i should have said more about the speed and temp. Its proven that GPS speed is the most acurate. If iam looking for a particular speed pattern dont know if i can count on the "wheel" to be acurate. The temp cable is worthless to me because i chase walleyes most of the time. But if your chasing bass like yourself then its a good tool. Do you get allot of big smallies out of the "big V" ???

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

The Lowrance x-85 has a great reputation. The x-65 has the same pixels but lower power (save $). I doubt that you would notice much (any?)difference in less than 50' of water. GPS is a wonderful idea, but I like my decision to have a separate, handheld mapping unit (Lowrance globalmap 100). I learned a lot about its accuracy and features in the off season in the car (someone else driving!). Plus, you can use it ice fishing or while in someone else's boat. If you plan to get GPS, then don't spend extra money on the speed indicators for a locator. The GPS is more accurate for slow speeds.

For finding fish in the open water period you can still never beat an FL-8. It can show you everything an LCG can if you know how to read it.
It has excellent seperation, so finding thick tight schools on breaklines, and fish belly in the mud is alot easier.

Another vote for the X-85. Easy to use and easy to see. The only place it has trouble reading is when I'm in very turbulent water like in a big tailrace, but I haven't seen a graph or a flasher that works well in that situation anyway. Good luck.
P.S. Get the speed and temp- It's worth it.

Another thing, if you are looking for just a flasher, I would suggest the LCF 40 or a similar model from Zercom. I use mine on the ice as well. Works great and is easier to see than the FL-8 on sunny days. FL-8 is a great unit though, don't get me wrong.

Heck put more than one on the boat! That way if one goes kapooey, you have a back up. I have an Lowrance X-75 and it has been a good unit. Also have an X-48 on the bow and I'll install my Hondex (same as Vexilar) in the boat for locating the real finicky fish.