• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoking Tullibee

JoeTC

If I catch some tullibee where can I get them smoked? Will meat markets do fish smoking for you? I'm in the NW metro if anyone knows a specific place to get this done. I found the location of some tullibee and being able to get them smoked would really give me some motivation to go after them. How do they taste? I've heard it's good. Thanks for the help.

Joe

Just do what I did and by a Little Chief Smoker. After you smoke a couple times, it's already paid for itself. Comes with a nice little smoking cookbook that will get you started. From there, you can make your own "secret" brine. I do salmon in mine probably about 3 x's a year. It's SUPER good. I have friends that drop off fillets for me to do all the time. I just charge them a chunk of the fillet to do it. It's worth looking into.

A friend that i fish with uses his holland grill if he has a smaller batch and they turn out really good. Otherwise, its tough to beat the 55 gallon drum with some chickenwire or old refridge grates. Top it off by smoking it with some apple wood.

Smoked tullies are da bomb.

Every man should have a smoker in their arsenal. My allegiance lies with the Weber Smokey Mountain especially with the price of pork being so low. It is a Weber which speaks for itself.

Find a good brine recipe (I am having problems finding my go to brine) and smoke them for a few hours.

I have a brine recipe I'm willing to share. The best I've ever had. It came from an old guy 20 years ago in Wyo. that he used to smoke trout. It works great for just about any fish but super great for any oily fish. If you want it I'll post it here.

i'd be interested in that brine

i did some northerns last year they were ok

but one has to do it a couple times to get it right

maybe i'm just not to bright i dunno

i use chips i did it on my deck in the winter

so had to keep a eye on the temp i think thats important part

right ???

Again, if you don't want to invest in an expensive smoker, the little chief is a great investment. I think I got mine for about $80. Buy a bag of apple chips, and you're ready to smoke. Cook book included to get you started. The really nice thing is it's small and you can store it just about anywhere. Nothing better than smoked ribs...mmmmm....ribs....