• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food Plot Public land

Islandlaker

I have a question for you guys. There is a spot I want to bow hunt this year. It is a lot closer to my house then the family land is. There is a big field that is out in the middle of nowhere. Can I put a food plot in it? I have looked at the regulations. There is tons of stuff about cutting trees, but I couldn't find anything about making a food plot in a field that already exists.

Have you called the owner of the land- county, state or federal, etc. ? If it isn't legal, saying that someone on the internet told you its OK won't get you out of a fine. If you can say, the county forester told you Ok that has more weight.

lakevet

Originally Posted By: Jmnhunter
no its not, i checked on it a few years ago...

a few years ago is a long time, call a CO to be safe the last thing you want is to get a ticket and your defence is a guy on the internet said it was ok

FWIW, he said it is NOT legal. Still best to get an answer from the source and not the internet though as the answers could change depending on the type of public land and the entity that runs it.

I am not sure how it is done, but someone plants food plots on some public lands. Perhaps Pheasants Forever? Just drove by the Swan Lake WMA today and saw plenty of standing corn. Maybe try contacting your local CO, PF group, or DNR.

Even if you could get permission you have to remember that it is fair game for anyone else to hunt over as well. So you would be putting in all the work only to have someone stumble across it and start hunting it. I have also seen some public land with food plots on them and always wondered who plants them. Maybe the dnr would let an organization like Jameson mentioned do the planting if you talked to them, its worth a shot.

Even if you could get permission you have to remember that it is fair game for anyone else to hunt over as well. So you would be putting in all the work only to have someone stumble across it and start hunting it. I have also seen some public land with food plots on them and always wondered who plants them. Maybe the dnr would let an organization like Jameson mentioned do the planting if you talked to them, its worth a shot.
If you build it they will come!

Actually it is in a very very secluded spot. No trails or nothing to it. It was a fluke that I found it. I am not too worried about someone hunting there. I will put my portable up the day it is legal to do so. And I will be in it well before legal shooting hours, if another bowhunter finds it and hunts when I'm not in it, so be it.

a few years ago is a long time, call a CO to be safe the last thing you want is to get a ticket and your defence is a guy on the internet said it was ok

FWIW, he said it is NOT legal. Still best to get an answer from the source and not the internet though as the answers could change depending on the type of public land and the entity that runs it.

thats what i meant, it is not legal. and as far as PF and other organizations, they partnered with the DNR to create them.

as mentioned above, i would call a CO and hear it 1st hand