• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what would you do if you caught the state record walleye

jwmiller33

i'm just curious as to what you guys would do if you caught the MN state record walleye? would you keep it/certified weight taken/name in record books/huge mount on your wall? or would you snap a few pictures/take measurements/release/pic of the release?

the current MN state record walleye is 17lb 8oz, @ 35.8 inch length X 21.3 inch girth

for me, it would be a very hard decision, but ultimately, i think i would have to release it. to me, the benefits of releasing outweigh the benefits of keeping it. if you kept it, basically you get your name in the record books and bragging rights. if you released it, and weighed it in your boat, got a pic of the weight on the scale, took measurements and also photos of the measurements to verify it is what you say it is, you would still have all the bragging rights you need for your ego, and you know that once in a lifetime fish is still swimming out there for someone else to catch. either way, you are going to be able to get a SICK mount, and the only different is your name isnt in the record books

some other guy said it best in another thread in the another forum about when he caught his first big pike when he was younger. he wanted to keep it and show it off to family/friends, and his grandpa asked him how he could take something that made him feel so alive and happy (when he was fighting it and reeling it in) and kill it?

fish that size take YEARS of a lot of things going right, and other people releasing it, to make it to that size.

this is just my opinion on catching a state record walleye. i'm curious to hear other people's opinion

If I knew it was going to be a new state record, I would keep it and take full credit for the fish. I would also hope to take advantage of any new sponsors it may attract for me. I would also taunt my fellow fishing club members for at least a year laugh

For me, on the wall. If its thrown back, the next guy who catches it will sure keep it, so why not me? And its probably close to dying of old age anyway. Also, I read some biologist report saying that the ones that large are past their prime as breeding stock. And it sure would be nice to see my name in the record book.

If it was a state record I would keep it. A fish that age probably won't live long enough for someone else to catch. They don't get that big by being caught, so the odds of someone else catching it again before it dies of old age are probably very slim. Beyond that I'd want my name in the record books and maybe a nice mount if I have the money...if I didn't have the money I'd have a fish fry...

I'd keep it, but wouldn't take any pictures of it or make any phone calls to the DNR...instead I'd have my buddy drop me off at home and let him take the fish to his family's house to show it off. I wouldn't be worried, it's not like they'd eat it shocked or would they? grin

haahahahaha

keep it, mount it, and cash in on the endorsments, walleyes that size are on the downside of breeding and life in general, the most productive breeders are the 18"-25"ers anyway, hence most slot limits. . .

This question has never popped in my head because I'm a conservationist at heart. I always release my personal best fish. If its my new personal best and its in good enough shape to swim off, its gone. Granted a few pics would be taken.

Today's state record will replenish the lake with state record genes and tons of them. Its also one of the apex predators helping keep the lake in balance. It will also become a trophy for another day. Graphite repos are cheaper and last far longer.

Let it live. I know I would always regret keeping a state record. I'd release it even if it ment the fish is never recorded as a state record.

The greed listed above is shocking.

The greed listed above is shocking.

I CPR about 99% of my fish so I hear where you are coming from about conservation.

If you want to talk about greed, talk about the meat hunters. Bringing home big walleye after big walleye, week after week is greed.

We are talking about a single fish here. The effect on the fishery is negligible. If it's a state record fish, it's already spread around a ton of state record genes.

I'd keep it and ask the state if they wanted to pay for the mount and put it in the nearest state park to where it was caught. If the state didn't want it, I'd call the bait shop I got the minnows at. If they didn't want it I would start going down the list of locally owned sporting goods stores. Worst case scenario, it's going on my wall, on my tab for the mount.

Better me keep it than someone else.

Harvesting a legal sized fish is not greed. Harvesting fish within slots or in excess of bag limits is greed. A fish that has grown to state record size will be very old and if it hasn't reproduced many times by that point giving it another opportunity won't matter because the fish must have something wrong with it if it can't spawn at least once in it's life by the time it is 15 years or older. The lake the state record comes out of will already have plenty of little fish (and probably some big ones) that were made by the record fish.

Plenty of measurements, plenty of pictures (including one against the tape in my boat), and then release her. Then I'd post it all over the internet boards and let the controversy fly!

I personally would get more satisfaction watching her swim away then having my name in some record book. Though I can perfectly understand the other route that many would take.

I majorly haggled in 2008 on my Canada trip when people that were up there with us found out I dumped a 27.5" eye back. They never let the issue go and haggled me for the entire trip over it. It got worse when they found out I released a second 27.5" eye.

Funny thing was both fish were caught on the exact same spot using the exact same bait with the exact same measurement. Maybe the same fish? Maybe a good thing I wasn't a meat pig?

I would roll over, wipe the drool from my chin, and say, "Man, that was some dream!"

If it happened for REAL? Hmmm...cut it up into strips for 'Pout bait?

Seriously, I am not a "meat pig" and I release all walleyes over 3 lbs. more often than not, but I would absolutely throw that Old Girl on the wall. I have my doubts that anyone would release it, but that is just because the sheer size of a walleye that big would change plenty of minds--even those that practice CPR religiously. Hold your fire! I know SOME of you might release it, but it is a SMALL percentage of fishermen, and I mean less than 1 percent, IMO.

fish have undetermined growth potential, they keep growing till it dies or it is killed. not like a world class buck with a small tree on its head, that passes genes to off spring, a fish that big, is far out of it best reproductive state an wontcontribute much. I dont fish for the hope of selling a trophy, call it greed? I call it an opportunity to make life a little easier an fun. And odds are it wont happen. sorry if that shocks you. Odds are I wont win the lottery either but I would'nt throw away the winning ticket. Boar

It's one fish, I'm thumpin' it, claiming the record, getting a mold made from it so others can proudly display my record on thier wall, then I'm having a Summit beer battered state record walleye party. Dang right I'm claiming the cheeks!!!! smile

This whole discussion sounds like a young man in front of the whole group at church camp vowing to remain pure until marriage. He might have a totally different perspective later that night when Cindy Lou, the cheerleader, crawls into his sleeping bag with him. You don't know until it happens.

And another way to look at it: If a state record buck walks up and stands broadside to you at twenty yards, do you take its picture or do you shoot??