• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fluorocarbon on baitcasters.

Set The Hook

I haven't used fluorocarbon on baitcasters yet. Just braid and copolymer lines. I love braid and I have mixed reviews on copolymer. Copolymer casts like a rocket, but it doesn't sit flush on the spool after a few casts and is harder to maintain than braid. I'm thinking about spooling up some 12 pound fluorocarbon on my curado E7 for finesse baits. What are some experiences you have had with using fluorocarbon on baitcasters?

I'm not a huge flouro fan, but I have found it to behave better on baitcasting reels than spinning reels. I like to spray it good with a line conditioner. You can cast a mile when the line has a fresh coating of the conditioner on it. You might have to pay special attention to your casting thumb if you know what I mean!

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... Does fluorocarbon sit tight on your spool? Or are there areas on your spool that have some loose winding after reeling it in? I'm guessing the answer could vary depending on what brand you use. But just wanna get a general idea.

I use fluro on all my baitcasters and spinning reels. I have tried just about every brand there is out there and I use Seaguar Invizx. In my opinion its the softest fluro out and is very manageable. Last night I was actually flipping a tube in my basement with 20lb seaguar on one rod, Berkely 20lb fluro on another rod, and Gamma 17lb copoly on another. There was no contest as to which one seemed to handle the best. The seaguar sat on the reel nice, felt smooth, and skipped across the floor with no problems. The Berkely seemed really stiff and unmanageable. The gamma copoly performed well but its copoly.

I use seaguar 10lb on my spinning gear and it works great. What I also like about this line is the diameter. They have smaller diameters compared to other brands. For example there 10lb is the same diameter of most other companies 8lb.

Set the hook: I would say the technique you are using will determine how tight the line sits on the spool. If your throwing a crankbait that consistently applies pressure to the line, then it will be tight. However, if you are pitching or flipping and consistently reeling in slack line, then it can get a little loose on the spool.

NTW: I've used triple fish and really like it. I've had no problems with it. If I remember correctly, it runs a little smaller in terms of diameter compared to other line brands, which also means it handles real well on spinning reels IMO.

I use fluorocarbon on some of my baitcasters, depending on the technique the rod is set-up for. Mainly I use Bass Pro's XPS.

For pitching of flipping you can reduce the loose line problem significantly by just short spooling that rig, you don't need to spool 100 yards of line for pitching. I will use fluorocarbon on spinning rigs in the lighter lines, but usually I like to uni-knot the fluoro. to braid.

Hiya -

Fluoro works great on baitcasters. About the only thing I DON'T use it for are spinnerbaits, and flipping in real heavy rushes or rice (I use mono and braid, respectively).

NTW - I use Triple Fish all the time. The reason for the price difference is TF is made in Germany, rather than in Japan like every other brand. The raw material for fluorocarbon is all made in one of 3 places - 2 in Japan, one in Germany. From there it's remanufactured into whatever its final use will be. Triple Fish is made into fishing line right at the plant, so there's no middle processing - thus the price difference.

I've had great luck with Triple Fish. Handles exceptionally well on spinning gear, which is why I started using it in the first place. I drop shot with 6# triple fish all the time. I've only had one case where I got abnormal break offs - I got a bad spool of 12lb that broke like sewing thread. Sent it back, and they sent me a replacement spool, plus another spool for my trouble.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

RK thanks for the information. I've ordered some #15. I'll be sure and check things out so I know that the spool isn't bad. At $10 for a 200yd spool not much harm done if I don't like it.

I went the cheap route and bought visious fluro. 800 yards for 20 bucks and was actually somewhat impressed for the money. It is a little stiff but I would take it over some of the other more expensive fluros. I actually use this stuff on my flippin sticks and havent had any problems.