• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Portable

bogwalker

If fishing by yourself the flip up and or 3man houses get a little heavy to lift into a van or high 4by4.I have an otter cabin which is nice but heavy.I really like the frabill hideout the best.Not a ton of room but quick to set and very easy to load and store!c63

I would of purchased the Wild 2 if it would of fit in the back of my X-over w/o having to fold down the seat (I didn't have a trailer or rack to put it on).

W2Collage.jpg

So instead, I purchased the next best, Clam 6x12 Command Post and love it!

IMG01039.jpg

servocam, Do you put carpet or something on the ice in your Clam ?

I have (3) 3'x4' outdoor mats that I use. I use to just use one as that is enough for two to be on, but now use 3 as it is nice to set stuff on the rugs. I'm looking at using Dricore 2x2 tiles - but don't stay on the ice long enough yet - maybe if doing all-nighters. The Dricore are plastic bottom and wood tops ~7/8" thick.

The 6x12 is nice to have a ton of space! No problems keeping it warm, but I have not had it out below 4 degrees yet. I use a Mr. Heater Big Buddy to heat it and gets nice and warm in there. I can also set it up as a 6x6 by collapsing 3 sides and folding down (roof now becomes the side).

My son on one of the rugs fishing.

IM000121.jpg

Are you looking at buying a portable?

servocam, I just bought an Eskimo sled type portable last winter. I really like the room you have in your Clam. The sled with a bench seat is good for 2 people, 3 is crowded, and it is much heavier than I thought it would be.

Dont think you can go wrong with any portable. Want thermal cost more. The clams come with nice seats vs a bench seat from others. The new eskimo shelters Have the button pushers on the poles built in thats a nice feature also.

Eskimo QFIII, 4 seasons hard use and going strong.

Same thing here!! This thing is awesome and I reccomend it to EVERYONE!! I have ran it through some very tough conditions of -30, 45mph winds, freeze-thaw, ect. Surpased 200 outings with it this winter (no tears, holes, stains, looks brand new). I dry it out after every use and take care of it. For $140 four years ago it was the best money I ever spent.

I drive an explorer so I don't have the space for a flipover. I went with the Eskimo Quickfish 3 and I love it. I might need to pickup the Quickfish 6 soon to accommodate a family of four! I wouldn't mind having a on man flipover too. I need more money!