• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Talk about having no luck this year.

It has not been a good summer for fishing in Iowa for me, either...

I am waiting for one or more things to happen, so far as fishing in Iowa goes this year:

I am waiting for the Iowa River and/or Mississippi to finally drop to fishable levels, and for the weather to start cooling off so the fall bite on Macbride begins.

Right now, none of these things look to be happening real soon. mad

No kidding! The small rivers in my area are starting to stablize, but never know when the monsoons will start in again. The Miss. was at 9.7 this weekend, still rising, and dirty! Talked to people that were out ,( noticed as we crossed the bridge to Wisc. too) lots of weeds coming down river.

Well! My luck is still holding! blush

Was fishing from the dock at my wifes' place( i snuck out before everyone was awake! Otherwise it was a family weekend with no fishing !) The area is full of scum so i was working a frog on top.( usually can get a bass or northern to play)Brought the frog across the scum, let it sit for a few seconds, then pulled it into the open water and twitched it. The water explodes! grin I wait to feel the fish and set the hook. Heavy fish!! In the weeds,out of the weeds, and slowly to the dock. It comes to the surface and i see what it is! mad Stupid DOG fish!!!!!! It did put up a good fight thou! Yep! My luck is still holding!

I did well on the Iowa River last Sunday and Monday.

I fished a spot with some runoff going in to the river in a slackwater area--that brings minnows, and minnows bring bigger fish.

I got quite a few crappie, some nice eating-sized channel cat, and a bonus walleye, along with some sheepshead, white bass, and carp. Of course, I only had to wait three months for this spot to open up...anyhow, I am going to hit it again tomorrow morning before the Hawkeye football crowd gets too thick. wink

My luck keeps being "NOT GOOD!" cry With all the high water we had this summer, the fishng wasn't anything to talk about. The fall bite hasn't been good for me yet! Then i was "STUPID" last friday!

Was fishing below a dam area when i slipped and fell on the rocks. I saved the rod, but took it hard on my arm, jammed my shoulder, and brused some ribs!( i think!) Things are coming, but still uncomfortable breathing. I had planned on bowhunting this weekend with my daughter as she muzzy hunted, but couldn't raise my arm to shoulder height. Scratch that idea!

Did go musky fishing yesturday.It hurt like #$%%$$$ at first, but the shoulder did loosen up. grin No fish! The bad news is i broke one of my rods! cry

It's been a slow year for me so far, with alot of time spent cleaning up the trailer by Harpers after the flooding this spring. We have done ok on bass so far, with the weather shutting down the crappie spawn this spring, and me missing the gils spawning! Went out last night, hoping the surface bite for bass would be on.That didn't happen either.

THEN!!! cry Went to motor to the docks to pick up my daughter. Motor started to bog down and then wouldn't run. Went to squeeze the primewer bulb in the fuel line. It was soft? As soon as i started to pump it back up i had gas coming out of the hose by the connector for the motor. Cut the end off, re did it and back to fishing.

Put the trolling motor down to get Ashley. Instead of a "click" it made a "clank" when it locked down. Hmmm? It still worked, so no problem. Til we tried to pick it up!! Locked in place and would not release!! With two of us trying to pick it up with no luck. Note!! (I carry pliers, screw drivers, and such on the boat,BUT!) Ashley had a crecent wrench in her truck. With that we were able to get the cross bolt and pin out that holds the head of the trolling motor on, so we could load and come home. GUESS WHAT I GET TO FIX TODAY!!!!!

I try not to complain much as this is the first time i've had troubles in several years. Usually all i have to do is wipe it down,charge the batt., and make certain there is gas and oil in it!

Turned out my problem was; there is a roll pin that goes thru the front block ( that the release pins are on) into the rod that both releases are attached to, had worked it's way out. Big problem was getting the lower bracket off inorder to drive it back in. Mercy!! Had to drive out the back pivot pin to do it. Then it was fun holding the trolling motor head in place and get the cross bolt and pin back in by myself. Son't know if the trans ducer for the littel eagle under that trolling motor is still useable! It took alot of beating in the process! blush