• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what grain for 243 cal deer hunting?

What grain bullet should I use deer hunting w/243? The most I was able to find in a sporting good store is a 100 grain is that enough? I'm really new to shooting so any advice will be greatly appreciated.thanks.

ahhhhh..the .243 bullet. Love it. It has it's limitations but I use mine for antelope and deer depending on how I'm hunting on any given day. I'm a dyed in the wool unwavering Sierria 100 grain boattail fan, of which, I reload and produce sub MOA at 100. My last recorded cronied FPS a coupla years ago was 2878 with RP brass, CCI 200's, pushing with 42.5 gr of IMR 4831 out of a Remington Model 7, 18 1/2 barrel. I am not a proponent of what I call "exotic" factory loads ( nothing intended to those who do). If I were to pick out a brand I'd go with the 100 grain Remington Core-Lokt". However, opinions will vary and I respect those individuals. I simply state what works for me out of my gun. You have a potent caliber there and should meet most general shooting needs. Best of luck with it.

Paul, thank you for posting that, I have been trying to get a load for a buddies Model 7 for the past couple of years. I will try the sierra 100 boat tails. The sweet spot so far on his model 7 has been about 2500 fps and it didn't matter what we were feeding it.....I will try those next for him

I think I'll try the 100 grain remmington. I wasn't sure on the knock down power but I got the answer I was looking for thanks guys.

I think it's the bullet construction that's key when using the lighter calibers on big game. If possible use a 100 grain bonded bullet.

Picks, I realize each chamber is going to be alittle different but, if you want I can give you my buller overall length. Just for the heck of it I'll tell ya how I determine mine. take out your bolt, drop a bullet into the chamber so it holds on the lands and grooves when youo bring it horizontal. Now, take a wooden dowel and slowly & gingerly push it from the muzzle until it touches the bullet. Take a very sharp pencil and mark the dowel as close to the very end of the muzzle as you can. Then I start seating a dummy shell and try to chamber the round. It could be a little long at this point. gradually seat the bullet deeper and deeper. Each time you seat it deeper, run the dowel down the muzzle until the mark you put on it earlier goes ever so slightly towards the interior of the muzzle. This should put the overall length right at the lands and grooves with no "free bore". (Compare that to taking a tooth pick and pushing it into the palm of your hand and feel the pressure. Now take it and just let it's own weight touch you palm). Then again check the chambering ease. Those 18 1/2 inch barrels will loose FPS compared to the 22 inch-ers. However, 2500 FPS isn't a bad speed, more so, if you are getting a MOA pattern. If IMR doesn't do it then try H-4831. I love that little gun because it is so easy to carry & quick to point. Hope your bud has luck with it. Always glad to pass on personal techniques. I'm still looing for one in .308.

Paul, thank you for posting that, I have been trying to get a load for a buddies Model 7 for the past couple of years. I will try the sierra 100 boat tails. The sweet spot so far on his model 7 has been about 2500 fps and it didn't matter what we were feeding it.....I will try those next for him

i dont think there is a flatter flying bullet made than the sierra boattail! for any caliber that is

Sounds like you got your answer, but for anyone else reading, I thought I'd throw out the 95 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertip as a very solid performer for those looking to buy "off the shelf."

Although I'm shooting it in the WSSM variant of the .243, the bullet is the same and the ballistics are similar and I was pleased with the performance, at least on the one Muley I shot with it.

I have always done just fine with 100 grain bullets in the .243 for deer. I now use the Sierra 100g boattails mentioned above, but I've used the Remington Core-Lokt as well, and they did fine. I am considering moving down to a 85 grain "premium" bullet like the Nosler Partition.

Many, many years ago, there was a "new" elk cartridge that was all the rage for a time. It was the hottest thing going for "big game", pushing a "big game" bullet over 3000 fps. That cartridge what the 250 Savage, AKA the 250-3000. They couldn't attain 3000 fps with a heavy bullet, and instead loaded it with a bullet that was 85 or 90 grains (instead of the heavier bullets so popular now in the .25-06 and such). That little bullet killed plenty of elk in its day, and that was a LOOOONG time before we had a lot of our current bullet technology.

Just saw an opportunity to tell a story. You'll do fine with the 100 grain factory stuff. Good shootin!

P.S. I don't think anyone makes ammo for the .243 with a bullet heavier than 105 grains.

Thanks for the advice. The more input the better since this will be my first year hunting with a rifle.

I did end up going with the 100 grain soft point but I can always switch. I don't even know if I will use this rifle for deer hunting since I went out and bought a 30-06 a few weeks after I posted this. I found a sweet deal on that gun and couldn't pass it up. As long as somebody is willing to give me advice I will be willing to listen. Thanks again to everybody.

I'm trying to find a load for my 243 single shot. I thought Hornaday made a 107 grain... I have been using 95 grain Noslers...I wish Barnes made a heavier bullet but I guess I will have to wait and see.

buckhunter21,

Honardy does make a 105 Grain A-Max Bullet for the .243

GREAT BULLET!!!

Not having the funds for a .308 project, I decided to see where my trusty .243 could take me.

rem700243.jpg

My loading started at 58gr. and got progressively heavier. I plateaued at around 75gr. then tried the heavyweights. I'm using the 105 A-Max almost exclusively now for my long range work. Using a Rem 700 with a heavy varmint barrel, new high quality brass, CCI primers, H-4831, and the 105 seated RIGHT at the lands... With 1 fouling shot and 5 to score, this round hit sub MOA at 500 yards. (my longest distance available) It's not a "hot" load by any means. Last velocity reading was in the mid 2500 range before my buddy shot my chrono. shocked (Thanks Brian!)

I may have reached the limit of this round for this rifle. I need a longer range and a new chrono to confirm. And a bit more play time. Also, I'm not sure the 105 would be a good option for deer. Never calc'ed for down range energy. My efforts have been just for longer range accuracy, not hunting.... YET.

Internet "commando-ism" aside, nay sayers have at it... Targets won't be posted. BUT.... If you're loading for the lil' 6mm, you owe it to yourself to check out the heavier bullets. It's where my rifle really came into it's own.

I had a fun job back in my college days. Worked as a sharpshooter down in the twin cities. We used a .243 with 80 grain bullets from Federal. Nothing fancy - just the basic round sold at most sporting goods stores back then (that was 20 years ago). Killed over 300 deer with that gun and load.

When they are quartering toward you, shoot them in the point of the shoulder and they will just tip over. It is absolutely lethal because it breaks down their shoulder AND blows the top of their heart off. The speed of the bullet has a tremendous amount of shock value! Broadside - shoot them through the ribs and they will run off a little ways and die just like any other cartridge. It's a great caliber to shoot deer with. Wouldn't worry too much about the bullet as with the right placement, most any of them will do the trick. Remington will be the most inexpensive at under $20, and then probably Federal after that at under $30. JMHO.