• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fish limits

hello to all,
i've heard some people say that there is a limit on the fish you can take over the state line. is this true? if so, what are the limits? i am also curious as to the size limits. i will be at leech lake all of next week. if someone could e-mail me some info that'd be great. thanks for the help in advance.....wendall

[email protected]

Fish Limits

You can only transport a legal limit of any species in MN, if you are traveling through and the limit from where you came is greater than MN your fish must be packed by someone who has a permit to do so and that permit # must be on each package. Also, fish packed in MN must have a one inch patch of skin left on the WHOLE fillet. This is so the fish can be identified and counted if questioned. So if you are going back to state that has a higher limit, but you caught the fish in MN you can only take a legal MN limit back.

okay, but i will be fishing for an entire week. what would my limit be based on. will i only be able to carry one days worth of fish? i am a bit confused. all of my fish will be cleaned at the resort i am staying at. is it likely that they have the permit that you speak of?

okay,
i will be fishing for a week. if i get stopped and i have a weeks worth of fish, am i going to get busted. what do they use as the guidlines of this law. how often is it that people get stopped? i will be at a resort on leech lake, do you think that they have the permit that you are speaking of? thanks again...........

In MN, your possesion limit is the same as your daily limit. Doesn't matter if you are here for a week, you can only have one limit per license. So enjoy a few fish dinners while here and take your limit home.

wendall,

In MN the possession limits and the daily limits are the same. You can transport ONLY your possession limit. While you may be at the resort for a week, you'll only be able to take home 1 limit per person -- for example, each licensed angler may keep 6 walleyes per day and can only possess six walleyes. If you are fishing for a whole week but you catch and keep six walleyes on day one, you cannot legally continue to fish for walleye unless you eat some during the week. When you go home at the end of the week, you can only have six walleyes per licensed angler in your possession.

The permit Fishin'Bemidji refers to is only necessary if the other states you travel through will have lower possession limits that MN. I'm sure your resort owner can assist in obtaining a permit if necessary.

Hope that helps clarify the rules for you. You can check the MN Fishing regulations online at:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/2002_fishing.pdf

Most resorts that offer cleaning service will ask you if you are going to eat them here or take them home. They clean your fish accordingly, they should also have a packing permit.

Wendall,

Fishin Bemidji is right your daily limit is the same as your possession limit except for perch, which is 20 daily and 40 in possession.

Also in regards to packing your fish. Make sure that they are packed in seperate packaging (don't put them all in a milk carton for instance). Also make sure that you leave at least a one inch square piece of the skin on each fillet for identification purposes.

Good Luck on Leech. It is a great lake.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

One of the least understood laws is daily possesion limits. If you catch your limit in the morning and eat some for lunch, legally you can not fish for that species any more that day. There was an article in Outdoor News stating that a couple of guys were busted for this. They were checked by DNR for a creel survey when the left the landing. They had lunch of fish and went out in the PM and caught more fish. They were fined for more than the daily posession limit. It was a rare occasion that this would happen, but it is something that I have done without knowing the true extent of a law. Ignorance isn't an excuse in the eyes of the law.