• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

farm pond

erikwells

I had it made deeper probably 15 or so in center and it is about 80 feet wide by 200 long. Only about half is the deeper water and the other half is weedy slough about 1-2 feet deep. All water around the area runs into it. I am not sure if there is a spring or not? In the winter of 99 it was about 20 below zero and there were spots on the ice that were slush. Maybe there is a small spring? I then had it made deeper and bigger fall 2000.

I have a few back issues of the In-Fisherman and Outdoor Life that detail making and stocking your own private pond. From what I've read and noticed on fish survival rates in un-areated ponds around my house; I'd say 9' deep is really the minnimum max depth for your sunnies/crappies to survive year to year-- so your 15' should be a sufficent wintering hole. Also-- the Acreage. Acording to the mags I had it said around 5 acres was really the minimum size for supproting a fishable number of panfish (minus bullheads of course..) Also-- maybe dredge the slough out another foot or too to provide a better spring/ spawning area?

If you were in Iowa I would say you would have no problem. Minnesota, you should still be alright at 15 ft. The only problem you may have is if the deep area is not big enought to support the fish population during the tough months. That area of 1-2 ft will freeze solid and that doesn't leave much space for the fish.

Water on the ice doesn't tell much, the weight of the snow most likely caused the slush. You can always do what I used to if you don't want to put in aerater and you are worried about winter kill, get out the chain saw and cut a huge hole.

Make sure you have some predator fish (bass) in that pond or the bluegill population will explode with little fish.ScottS

In most winters 15 feet is suffient depending on what part of the state you live in. Have you considerded an areation system. These can be fairly inexpensive or very expensive depending on your needs. Search some of the aquaculture supply websites. I have seen some pretty crude systems before but they all work just fine. The only downfall is thet you have to have power souce near by.
One tip is to use areation before the ice comes. Areation when the oxygen is already low will cause a winter kill. (Reverse Areation)
Also an areation will stirr up the water some to knock down some of the algae.
Good Luck