• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late Night Wars!

Shack

Anyone been watching Late Night talk shows this week?

Conan has been pretty brutal towards NBC.

Letterman has been almost over the top about the NBC CO/President over this debacle. Called him a little fat, pimpled face, geek last night grin Then the ripping on Jay laugh

I normally do not watch these guys, but it has been interesting.

Leno should just bow out. He retired came back with essentially the same show, earlier and it stinks. Ill stick with Conan whatever channel he ends up on.

It has been kind of funny watching lately you can tell he really is upset with NBC and really doesnt give a hoot anymore by some of his comments.

Conan has nothing to lose IMO so why not. Rip NBC all he wants, he gets canned I am sure ABC, FOX or someone will pick him up instantly

My question because I don't know. Jay is making it sound like he was forced out, but he announced like 3 years ago he would retire in 09. So was he forced out or no?

Letterman has right to poke at it, as I remember Carson wanted Letterman to take over but NBC went with Jay.

Leno's got nothing to complain about it. It was a DB move to "retire" then do the same program an hour BEFORE your replacements show starts.

If I was Conan I would take the money and run. I think they can either pay him the full contract to do nothing for the next four years or buy him out for a substantial sum.

Leno's got nothing to complain about it. It was a DB move to "retire" then do the same program an hour BEFORE your replacements show starts.

Not that I care one way or the other, but it is my understanding that Conan was promised the Tonight show years ago. That is my Jay announced that he would be doing the Tonight Show in 2010. Jay kind of got shafted in my opinion.

His show was best during the writers strike because he got to write his own stuff. Conan gets old, his jokes are too cooky and the mugging for the camera gets irritating. I used to like Letterman when he was doing the Late Show, but now every subject turns political. At least Jay makes fun of both sides and doesn't turn his show political. I hear enough politics on the news without listening to these guys try to shove it down our throat too.

I'm guilty of not really watching any of them. I've always liked Letterman at NBC and CBS. I used to watch Conan all the time when he first aired when I was in college. I personally think he's much funnier than Leno. Leno = really boring in my book.

Anyway, listening to some of the sound clips were pretty funny this morning. Conan's were the best. I'm surprised he's still on the air with how he's torching the network.

I think they all have short memories: part of the deal with Jay Leno "retiring" and O'Brien replacing him was falling ratings I believe.

Actually Conan O'Brien is a brilliant writer, and some of the best episodes of Sat Night Live and The Simpsons were when he was writing.

DD

regardless in a sense, the ones who win are Leno, O'Brien and NBC due to massive ratings from all this.

I enjoy Conan's attack at the company, the popular free listing site selling his barely used late night talk show set was hilarious "will trade for coldplay tickets" gringrin

None of them were Carson, even though a teen and highschooler, he was the best, clean yet funny.

Im not old enough to remember Carson, Leno was funny in high school and Conan was downright hilarious in college and ever since. Im sure Conans having trouble with his new time slot and new target audience, he was at his best when he went on after Leno and could pretty much do whatever he wanted. They always made Max W. look like a perv, the announcer was creepy as #$%& and the biggest and most popular guest he ever had was the master-baiting bear!haha ...Didnt get much funnier than that

I think they all have short memories: part of the deal with Jay Leno "retiring" and O'Brien replacing him was falling ratings I believe.

Actually Conan O'Brien is a brilliant writer, and some of the best episodes of Sat Night Live and The Simpsons were when he was writing.

DD

Don't think that is true. Leno had everyone beat in rating by a mile. He was killing Letterman and Conan. but Conan was in a different time slot.

Conan was Late Late, so you can't compare the ratings.

If Leno didn't want to retire, he shouldn't have done it the first time around. As mentioned, he doesn't need the money, and I am sure there are plenty of other opportunities for him.

Conan got screwed - he didn't even get a full year. Leno's old act has been there forever (in TV terms).

DD

For some reason, I always pictured Conan taking over for Lorne Michaels at SNL when Lorne wanted to retire.

I'd actually like to see Conan have his show on an HBO or another cable network where he could let it fly a little more. Then Triumph would have a little more latitude on his material too.

The networks got their undies in a bunch most of the time.

I knew the show was a tanker when they lead out with Will Farrel. As for past characters, that hardly show up in skits, it goes to show you reciting those shows reviles his dialogue has become tiresome with an occasional originality that hits the funny bone.

Craig Ferguson rules! in time he will meat his demise. I just hope he he does not bid for the golden time slot, to much expectation. wink

Craig Ferguson rules! in time he will meat his demise. I just hope he he does not bid for the golden time slot, to much expectation. wink

I agree, I love Craig Fergusons show!!

best line on the show:

"Well, summers over, had to say goodbye to the poolboy the other day. I don't even have a pool"