• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help I've falling and I can't get my chains on!

&JAG

I may be dumb but I bought a set of chains for the wheeler and I can't seem to keep them on! I will put them on and drive slow like 20 yards and they just come off. Any advice for me would be awesome. Moose Utility is the brand if that will help any.

You need to get them on tight. You dont just hook it to the last link. Move the connector up a link or two or more. I usually let most of the air out of my tires so the tire is visibly smaller then put it on so it is tight enought to be difficult to get on then air them back up. Usually that is just right then. You don't want them so tight they look like the tire is going to come out from between the chains. You should be able to barely move the chain on the tire surface after they are aired up. I actually had to cut about 4 links out of my set so they fit well. Now they will not come off unless the tire gets low on air.

When I bought mine if I did as you just said they just fell off like he is saying that is why I had to lower the air and then reinflate. As I said do not make it so tight that the chain can not be moved by hand after inflation. I have had these on my wheeler for years now and no tire problems. Some chains are different than others I guess but this is what I had to do. I also don't want them coming off in the middle of mille lacs when I need them most.

Haven't ever chained up a wheeler but sure have chained up many a pickup. Have you tried putting a tensioner on the chains. This is a rubber band with hooks that goes on the outside of the tire to tighten the chains up after install. You have to have these on a chain or it will come off. They are sold seperately. Our procedure was to lay the chains out,drive the truck on, connect chains as tight as possible by hand and then put tensioners on. Never had a problem.

I though after you linked the chains together (snug on the wheel) you place a link on the side as well??? or even a zip tie to hold it on. Maybe i'll try to explain better....chains go on top of the wheel, zip tie going accross the side of the wheel to connect the chains on left side and right side or tire together to keep a snugger fit???

maybe you have the wrong size chains I would double check your tires size to the chains you purchased. Putting chains on a wheeler has to be the easiest thing to do...no offense!!!

mr

Right on. Checked the size all good. Personally, I'm just not impressed with the lock system it's just a hook... My brothers actually has a clasp and they stay on. Yes, Meat-Run chains are easy to put on but, not too impressed with these Moose Utility chains so far. I will let out some air and take a skredriver to help get it tighter. Thanks again, everyone

Well sounds like you have looked everything over maybe a call to Moose utilities may help all i can say is when the snow fly's my chains are on and ready because it makes a world of difference. Good Luck and hope you get it resolved before the next snow storm arrives.

mr