• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Thread?!?!?!?!

lawdog

1968–1991

For about a quarter century after Lombardi's departure, the Packers had relatively little on-field success. In the 24 seasons from 1968 to 1991, the Packers had only five seasons with a winning record (above .500), one being the shortened 1982 strike season. They appeared in the playoffs twice during that period, with a record of 1–2. The period saw five different head coaches - Phil Bengtson, Dan Devine, Bart Starr, Forrest Gregg, and Lindy Infante - two of which were former Packer players in Lombardi's era (Starr and Gregg), and one of which was a former coach (Bengtson). Examples of poor draft choices shaping seasons are often mentioned in the context of this time period. Examples include the 1974 draft, in which coach Dan Devine sent five draft picks (two first-rounders, two second-rounders and a third) to the Los Angeles Rams for aging quarterback John Hadl who would spend only 1 1/2 seasons in Green Bay.[6] Another came in 1989, when players such as Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas were available, and the Packers chose offensive lineman Tony Mandarich. Though rated highly by nearly every professional scout at the time, Mandarich's performance failed to meet expectations. ESPN has rated Mandarich as the third "biggest sports flop" in the last 25 years.[7]

Why do Packer Backers and Bears fans fear when and if the Vikings will win a Super Bowl?

For, if they do...they will prove to be the better team since the mid 1960s.

That is why they root for us to lose each year.

Yes, have have yet to win the big game...but we have more to cheer about year after year. The Vikings nearly always seem to be "in the hunt".

Why do Packer Backers and Bears fans fear when and if the Vikings will win a Super Bowl?

For, if they do...they will prove to be the better team since the mid 1960s.

That is why they root for us to lose each year.

Yes, have have yet to win the big game...but we have more to cheer about year after year. The Vikings nearly always seem to be "in the hunt".

The Packer and Bears fans have bragging rights period. Win a championship, and you can brag! wink Once again....teams that haven't won the "big one" don't have anything to brag about. Get it done with Favre (a Green Bay icon), and we'll be happy for you. Until then...the Bears and Packers will always be ahead of the Vikings....Division titles don't mean squat!!! wink

Vikings:The Vikings have the 2nd highest winning percentage of any NFL team.

Division championships (18)

NFL Central: 1968, 1969

NFC Central: 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2000

NFC North: 2008, 2009

Packers:

Division championships (13)

NFL West: 1936, 1938, 1939, 1944

NFL Central: 1967

NFC Central: 1972, 1995, 1996, 1997

NFC North: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007

Jeepers, 4 of the Div Titles the Packers won were before the Vikes were even a franchise. Who has had the more successful team over the years? I think you all know the answer to that.

Yea we do... the team that's won championships!!! grin

So they have won a game at the end of a good year, making them Super Bowl champs. Once, I might add that most of us can remember or were even on the earth for, but as a whole the Vikes have been the better franchise since their inception.

BTW, I was even a little surprised at the first line there, I figured we were top 10, but even I didn't know we had the second best winning percentage of any NFL team. Thats pretty good.

Vikings World Championship games:

1970 - Lost

1974 - Lost

1975 - Lost

1977 - Lost

Packers:

World championships (13)

1929 - Won

1930 - Won

1931 - Won

1936 - Won

1938 - Won

1939 - Won

1944 - Won

1965 - Won

1966 - Won

1967 - Won

1996 - Won

Fixed that for you Zamboni. 3.gif

Good fix, snooze. Looks like, based on World Championships, it's the Packers that have been the "better" team for the last 40+ (in this case 45) years. Citing division championships and winning percentage as a criteria clearly is a panicked move by someone desperate to feel good about a team that has flunked its Super Bowl test four times. gringringrin

Good thing for Vikes fans that you can earn the right to re-take the test every single season.

And I do actually hope the Vikes take it all this year. It's just the reasoning behind some of the Viking fan fist-pumping that makes me laugh. smilesmile

The championship winning team in 1939 really doesn't matter to me. I wasn't around then. Matter of fact, neither was my dad.

What matters to me is the 2009/10 season. Vikes/Pack record is Vikes 2, Pack 0. Pack in play-offs 1 and done. Vikes in play-offs 1 so far and moving on.

I'm one of those guys whos favorite team is the Vikings and my second favorite team is who ever is playing the Packers.....Unless the other team is Dalla. (America's team????? Brotha please) Then I hope the game ends in a tie cuz I can't stand either one.

I was alive for the last four of my Pack's championships, so they all matter to me. Of course, as I've said before, all that means is I have a little consolation when my team is out of the playoffs. All those championships and $2 will buy you a PBR in Wisconsin today. gringringrin

I'm with you on the Cowboys. I don't hate any team, but if they went 0-16 the next five season, I'd give them a big horselaugh. winkwink

I'm one of those guys whos favorite team is the Vikings and my second favorite team is who ever is playing the Packers.....Unless the other team is Dallas. (America's team????? Brotha please) Then I hope the game ends in a tie cuz I can't stand either one.

Not only a tie, but a tie wherein several players are injured, the coaches are kicked out and suspended for multiple weeks and their fans get into a blood spilling brawl during the game forcing the league to suspend all future games held at their respective stadiums! OK maybe that's a bit strong, but you and I are thinking alike as to these teams...

Most of those championships mean nothing to us. To Packer fans, they can brag about the past, because they have one. But I dont think its fair to say the Packers are a better franchise because they won championships long before the Vikes were even a team. For me, I look at comparrisons from when the Vikes became a team, and compare. Its only fair to compare an equal time frame.

Either way, the Pack are ahead in that catagory cry But the Vikes have a chance to make it more equal.

As for which team is better, that is a yearly test, the past few years, it was the Vikes, before, the Packers. You cant throw in what happen 80 years ago, and say because my team won 80 years ago, we are a better team this year!

Originally Posted By: Eric Wettschreck
I'm one of those guys whos favorite team is the Vikings and my second favorite team is who ever is playing the Packers.....Unless the other team is Dallas. (America's team????? Brotha please) Then I hope the game ends in a tie cuz I can't stand either one.

Not only a tie, but a tie wherein several players are injured, the coaches are kicked out and suspended for multiple weeks and their fans get into a blood spilling brawl during the game forcing the league to suspend all future games held at their respective stadiums! OK maybe that's a bit strong, but you and I are thinking alike as to these teams...

Sounds just about right to me.

I was alive for the last four of my Pack's championships, so they all matter to me. Of course, as I've said before, all that means is I have a little consolation when my team is out of the playoffs.

Actually, all that means is...........you are reaaaallllyyyy OLD! wink

Originally Posted By: zamboni
Vikings World Championship games:

1970 - Lost

1974 - Lost

1975 - Lost

1977 - Lost

Packers:

World championships (13)

1929 - Won

1930 - Won

1931 - Won

1936 - Won

1938 - Won

1939 - Won

1944 - Won

1965 - Won

1966 - Won

1967 - Won

1996 - Won

Fixed that for you Zamboni. 3.gif

I'm certainly not a packer hater, but if you guys are seriously holding on to these long ago championships as proof that you have had a better franchise..............what a joke!

You do realize that the first 3 championships were gained by having the best season record? I think it was a 9 game season. No play-offs just have a better record over 9 games.

The next 3 were won in an era of 9 teams in the whole league. The packers only had 4 teams in thier whole conference, so winning the conference was as easy as winning winning the division is today.

In 1944 there were 10 teams, again not too tough.

In Foss's era of 65-67 the Pack had a nice run but there were still less than half as many teams as there are presently. Seems to me tat as soon as the Vikes got into the league and had a few years to get established, those Packer championships kind of washed up. Never to be heard from again for almost 30 years. At least when the Vikings were going to Superbowls, it was during the "modern" era.